EGS appeal - Nitram

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nitram

EGS appeal - Nitram

Post by nitram »

Hi, well time flies, now 3 years since moving to Skipton and enjoying.

Our second DS has just received his results and unfortunately he scored 224 with pass at 230.

46 in and 45 out of area achieved 230 or above.

Letter also says that total 16 children achieved score 224-230.

So do you think it is worth considering a non-qualification appeal?

EGS normally take 112 I think and some more sometimes. So they are by no means full.
mitasol

Re: Moving to Harrogate, well now its Skipton!

Post by mitasol »

Hi Nitram,

Sorry to hear your news. Hermie will be around later and usually has the the best advice for North Yorks.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Only 6 points away, so not a huuuuge discrepancy. What sort of 'evidence' of academic ability do you have? Have you spoken to the head about their recommendations?
nitram

Post by nitram »

Snowdrops wrote:Only 6 points away, so not a huuuuge discrepancy. What sort of 'evidence' of academic ability do you have? Have you spoken to the head about their recommendations?
Only just found out so will speak to head. As far as I can recall he's above average for his SATS but will get confirmation on his actual levels.

I have some experience after going for appeal with first DS, but this is will be on non-qualification.
nitram

Post by nitram »

What I was calling an appeal is termed a Selection Review.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh, have they changed the process now?

Read up on it and make sure you know how it works properly and what you need to do.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

OK, I've found the documentation concerning reviews and appeals for Ermysteds, the link for which I include at the bottom.

Do read through it very carefully and make sure you're satisfied with your decision. Basically, you can opt in or out of the review but you need to know the consequences of your actions and how that may affect a place for your son.

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/media/1753 ... mended.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

nitram wrote:Hi, well time flies, now 3 years since moving to Skipton and enjoying.

Our second DS has just received his results and unfortunately he scored 224 with pass at 230.

46 in and 45 out of area achieved 230 or above.

Letter also says that total 16 children achieved score 224-230.

So do you think it is worth considering a non-qualification appeal?

EGS normally take 112 I think and some more sometimes. So they are by no means full.
Hi

Phew sorry to be late, in monsoon at Blubberhouses.
Nitram really sorry to hear that you are looking at appeals.. Strikes me that 230 is a very high score compared with previous years? Am sure 224 would have got in in past years

They have 91 if all those who passed take up the places, so although they would run under number they will still be genuinely looking at people who appeal and can provide the academic evidence. Glad Snowdrops has found the document - she is right in that there are consequences to choosing each route. Might be worth chatting ASAP to head of primary re this.
nitram

Post by nitram »

Snowdrops wrote:OK, I've found the documentation concerning reviews and appeals for Ermysteds, the link for which I include at the bottom.

Do read through it very carefully and make sure you're satisfied with your decision. Basically, you can opt in or out of the review but you need to know the consequences of your actions and how that may affect a place for your son.

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/media/1753 ... mended.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, also came across this.....http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/CHttpHandl ... =14861&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've arranged to see head teacher but they indicate its worth appealing.

Now how best is it to fill in the Common Application form which has to be by end of Oct.

Does it matter if we only list EGS and no other school?
Last edited by nitram on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nitram

Post by nitram »

hermanmunster wrote:
nitram wrote: Hi

Phew sorry to be late, in monsoon at Blubberhouses.
Nitram really sorry to hear that you are looking at appeals.. Strikes me that 230 is a very high score compared with previous years? Am sure 224 would have got in in past years

They have 91 if all those who passed take up the places, so although they would run under number they will still be genuinely looking at people who appeal and can provide the academic evidence. Glad Snowdrops has found the document - she is right in that there are consequences to choosing each route. Might be worth chatting ASAP to head of primary re this.
I was told it was 203 last year.

I cant seem to find out what these 'consequences' are unless I'm not reading the document well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now