North Yorkshire - selection review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

skiptonlass

North Yorkshire - selection review

Post by skiptonlass »

First of all, can I say congratulations to everyone whose children have passed the 11+ and also a thank-you to everyone who has taken the time to post useful information and messages of support which I have found both useful and comforting.

Having had a week to absorb the news that my DS has not made the cut-off mark for Ermysteds (which we are in catchment for), I have to say that I am surprised that it has hit me so hard..... he had been expected to pass and all previous SATS results had suggested that this should be the case; even he thought he had passed and was quite inconsolable when I told him he had not achieved the mark for this year.

After discussion with the Head Teacher, I am looking to complete the Selection Review Form - not for a very long time has the completion of 2 sides of A4 paper seemed so important! I have scoured this site for any useful information and tips in completing the form and would be very grateful for any advice that anyone can give.

I know not to mention the unexplained anomaly between scores for EGS and Ripon and this leads on to a question I have. I am to complete and submit the CAF before 31st Oct, I will be putting EGS first, however would like to put Ripon Grammar - weekly boarding second - he has met the pass mark for this school but aside from being out of catchment, it would be too far to travel on a daily basis.

At the selection review, do the panel know the schools which have been put second and third to EGS and if this is the case, is there a possibility that the selection review may be biased against us either because I have put Ripon down as well or because they think I can afford to pay school boarding costs? For the record, I don't know if I can afford the cost but I feel I need to try and do everything I can for my son...
Snowdrops

Re: North Yorkshire - selection review

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi Skiptonlass, and welcome to the forum.

You have found the best place possible for reviews and appeals!

The panels don't know which order you put the schools in, so don't worry about that.

As for Ripon, you are not out of catchment for boarding, that's the whole point of it, they take children from afar! My dd's been at Ripon for five years now (OOC so we were extremely lucky) but I know for a fact a lot, if not most, children who board live only a few miles away. The furthest one I know of (and bear in mind this is only dd's year) has their home in scarborough and most of them are weekly boarders which, as I'm sure you know means you pay only for boarding, the lessons are free. I think you'd have a very good chance of being allocated a place for boarding.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The panel will not know that you have put Ripon down as second and will also not know what is 3rd etc so your choice is fine - there is a "suitability for boarding" form that has to be sent to the school at some poingt ... but am not sure when - have you got that form?
skiptonlass

Post by skiptonlass »

Thank-you both for your replies - I have the boarding form - I got it from the school's website. I must say that we all thought that Ripon was excellent, just wish it was on the doorstep - we moved 200 miles up here from a grammar catchment to the current one - it was because Skipton had grammar schools and was not too far from work that we moved here (and because I'm a northern girl and wanted to be nearer to the family).

I will still try for Ermysteds but at least I feel a bit happier that if we things don't go our way at the selection review, there is hopefully a good chance that we will get a weekly boarding place at Ripon.

Can't believe I am going to have to go through all this again with my other child who is now in Year 5 - I really hope that the outcome on 11+ results day is in our favour - only another year to go!

I know I've seen some stats on here for Bucks (I think) selection review outcomes based on (if I've read it correctly) no of marks away from the pass mark, no of selection reviews heard in each band and the percentage success in each - does anyone know if there is any similar data for North Yorkshire selection reviews? I've seen data for no. selection reviews in total which shows the number of successful reviews but it doesn't break the data down into the detail of how many marks away students were - possibly no bad thing if we can't get that up here as it is one less set of stats to fret over!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now