Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:15 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 32
Hi

I'm a newbie and apologies for the cheesy subject title!

I received the results of my DD's grammar test last week and she came below the qualifying rank. I have subsequently found out she has only missed by 1 or 2 marks (having spoken to other parents whose DC ranked slightly higher) and this could be even less after reallocation next year.

I am considering an appeal due to numerous extenuating circumstances. I have posted to the appeals box as I just want to know in the first instance your views on whether the events in the email constitute extenuating circumstances.

In terms of academic performance, my DD was working to level 5s in reading and writing at the end of year 5, and level 4 in maths - the results were from optional year 6 SATS administered in year 5. I am awaiting parents evening this year but my DD is in a G&T group for reading and writing and working towards level 6 for each and level 5 for maths.

My DD attends a state primary so no CAT scores or reading age tests recently.

I would be very grateful for your input.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:50 pm
Posts: 140
which area are you in?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7059
Welcome!

Quote:
My DD attends a state primary so no CAT scores or reading age tests recently.
If the 11+ included tests such as VR, then it could of course have strengthened the case to have had evidence of higher scores in alternative reasoning tests.

Twinsmum123 wrote:
I am considering an appeal due to numerous extenuating circumstances. I have posted to the appeals box as I just want to know in the first instance your views on whether the events in the email constitute extenuating circumstances.
Yes, I think so - but academic evidence is always more important.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 32
Thank you so much for your time. In terms of academic evidence:

Re twin 1 referred to above:

1. I presume she scored well in the VR as she is only 1 or 2 marks away from the cut off- - and v frustratingly would have got a place comfortably last year -but as we are in a state primary we have no other VR results other than a mock test which we paid to attend in August (where she scored 75/80)

2. Optional sats at end of year 5 were level 5s for reading and writing and 4 for maths

3. Predicted year 6 is level 5a/6 for reading and writing and 5 for maths

4. I recall them doing reading ages in year 4 and possibly 5 so will ask

5. In G&T group for reading and writing

I may consider your advice re getting a CAT test or educational psych report.

Re twin 2 - I think difficult decision is whether I appeal for her as she was further away but her grades are slightly weaker (albeit still good)

Not sure I could appeal for one and not the other- whilst they like to pretend they dislike each other :D they are very close. Tough decision :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7059
Twinsmum123 wrote:
3. Predicted year 6 is level 5a/6 for reading and writing and 5 for maths
Ideally one would like to see 5b for maths.

Quote:
5. In G&T group for reading and writing
G&T is usually based on a percentage of pupils, so it depends on the standard within the school. See note 2:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11

Quote:
I may consider your advice re getting a CAT test or educational psych report.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b39

Quote:
Re twin 2 - I think difficult decision is whether I appeal for her as she was further away but her grades are slightly weaker (albeit still good)
I see no reason why you shouldn't ask an appeal panel to consider her case - so long as expectations are realistic, i.e. you understand (as you do) that the further away from the required score, the more difficult it could be to convince the panel.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 32
Thank you so much.

I have some updated information which I have posted to the appeals box email. Your thoughts (as always) would be appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7059
Where you disagree with the response you've received, it is open to you to raise the matter at appeal. I'd advise you to keep it very brief, though - you need to be careful not to let extenuating circumstances dominate the hearing and overshadow your academic case.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 32
Thank you

You are right - I think I've become a bit obsessive about the extenuating circumstances - to be honest think I'm using this as a distraction from the personal circumstances at home :(

I'm going to try and put it all to the back of my mind till next year, although in the meantime I will speak to school to give a heads up that we are looking to appeal and establish what info and facts are available and:

1. Will see if school will do a reading age assessment next term

2. Consider getting a Ed Psych report

Thank you for taking the time to read my long emails!

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am
Posts: 32
Just 2 quick questions:

1. Should I ask for a copy of the invigilator's report; and

2. Should I respond to the matters I don't agree with now or leave it and take it up if I appeal?

Just don't want to get to March and be asked why I didn't respond at the time.

Thanks for all your assistance - the advice is invaluable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7059
Twinsmum123 wrote:
1. Should I ask for a copy of the invigilator's report;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b58

Quote:
2. Should I respond to the matters I don't agree with now or leave it and take it up if I appeal?
Just don't want to get to March and be asked why I didn't respond at the time.

The admission authority have stated their position and are unlikely to change it, so the next step - if you so wish - would be to raise the matter at appeal.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016