To Appeal or not to Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Twinsmum123

Re: To Appeal or not to Appeal

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi

I have submitted my request for an appeal for my DD and am putting together my appeal paperwork, but since I last posted I have received a letter from the grammar school to say that the top 400 children are deemed qualified as opposed to the top 370. This means my daughter is now deemed qualified and is on the waiting list.

My query is, whilst I will still provide the academic evidence from school (currently on 5A's and 5B's) and a supporting letter from the head, does the fact that she was deemed qualified mean there is less of a burden to prove her academic ability (as posted previously she is at a state school and so other than SATs levels we have very little other evidence).

Hope that makes sense!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

does the fact that she was deemed qualified mean there is less of a burden to prove her academic ability
Yes - although if places are offered in rank order, it is open to you to argue (if you wish) that the alternative academic evidence is so strong as to suggest a higher score could reasonably have been expected.

Otherwise, the only issue should be your reasons for wanting a place.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi Etienne

I am back having decided to proceed with an appeal.....eek.

My DD's school have never been asked to provide a letter of support before and I have therefore emailed to the appeals box a draft which we have prepared together.

I appreciate you do not comment on individual appeal applications, but could you advise if the letter should provide any more/less detail?

Thanks in advance!
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi Again

Apologies, but I have also asked my DD's class teacher for a letter regarding how her behaviour/schoolwork was affected by extenuating circumstances last September.

Again, I have sent a copy of the draft letter to the appeals box and would appreciate your input!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi

I assume you've seen the Q&As?
"We have spoken to the school and they are willing to support our appeal. As this is going to be new for them, they want to know what to put in their supporting letter."
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would have liked to see more about academic achievement in the head's letter (but it's possible that's fully covered in the school reports).
The wording to indicate strength of support ("wholehearted" etc.) is good!
Etienne
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Thanks Etienne

Just when I thought I'd read every bit of advice on the forum....apologies!

I have included a school report with current levels and predicted year 6 SATS results but will cross reference.

Any thoughts on the draft wording for the letter from the class teacher which I also emailed?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just when I thought I'd read every bit of advice on the forum....
:)
Any thoughts on the draft wording for the letter from the class teacher which I also emailed?
Not really - perhaps I would have preferred to see "uncharacteristic behaviour" - but if it was meant to cover extenuating circumstances, it's done that (and more, ending on a positive note).
Etienne
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Thanks for all your help Etienne.

I have just printed off my appeal paperwork which I must submit tomorrow, but am having a wobble regarding the appeal.

I have sent you a PM.....I think I need a virtual shake and a shout of "pull yourself together".....so please feel free to do so! :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't believe an appeal panel would draw any adverse conclusion from the paperwork.

They will of course spot that one case is essentially stronger than the other, but I do think you have to try for both.
Etienne
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi Etienne

Just to say thanks for all your help.

I have done the dirty deed and submitted the appeal paperwork :lol: but just wanted to say I couldn't (and probably wouldn't) have done it without the help of this forum.

I'll hopefully be back in June/July with details of how the appeal goes.