Admission Code for Academies

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sillyjolly

Admission Code for Academies

Post by sillyjolly »

Can anybody explain what this means from the Admissions Code and when it would be used?
"Academies are required by their funding agreements to comply with the Code and the law relating to admissions, though the Secretary of State has the power to vary this requirement where there is demonstrable need"
For example, would a selective academy use it to admit children of a particular religion who didn't pass the entrance exam to keep the faith of the school active?
Etienne

Re: Admission Code for Academies

Post by Etienne »

In theory the Secretary of State has the power, but I've not heard of it being used.
Etienne
sillyjolly

Re: Admission Code for Academies

Post by sillyjolly »

Even though my son did not pass the entrance exam I was asked to sign and return a form to confirm he was Catholic.
When I queried this with the school I was told that some parents had not completed this information etc etc. I asked why ask for this information from the children who have not passed and was told that the school didn't know at this stage how many were going to choose the school for admission. I was also told that they had a lot of boys who had missed the pass mark by a few points like my son.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now