Etienne/Sally-Anne - Advice on Bucks review/appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Padawan

Etienne/Sally-Anne - Advice on Bucks review/appeal

Post by Padawan »

Hi, I've been reading the forum avidly and trying to work out the best route to take for my DS but still dithering about it and hoped you might be able to offer some sage advice.

DS scored 116 in STTS. Individual scores were:
Verbal: 58.04
Numerical: 34.26
Non-Verbal: 23.94

His end of Y5 SATs were:
Reading 4a
Writing 3a
Maths 4b

and predicted Y6 SATS are:
Reading: 5b
Writing: 4a
Maths: 5c

Y5 CAT scores were:
Mean 125
Verbal 119
Quantitative 120
Non Verbal 135

On the surface, I would say SATs grades were OK but not amazing. CATs I think are pretty good (and have always been above average).

However, my DS was assessed in Y5 spring term by the CC Cognition & Learning team and was found to have specific problems with processing speed, on the 6th centile. The conclusion was that DS was likely to process information at a slower rate than his peers and that various support methods be used in the classroom allowing him time to process delivery of instructions and verbal information, time to proof read, etc.

In the STTS exams, he wasn't given any extra time and we feel that this disadvantaged him. We're not sure if we were meant to request it or the school was meant to request it, or even whether he would have qualified for it.

The Head Teacher had recommended 3:3 but when we spoke to them, agreed that he should be a grammar school candidate and that they would adjust their comments. We now have the completed summary form and the HT is 'supportive' of the application.

I'm really not sure what is the best course of action. We don't have an Ed Pysch report yet, but are planning to get one (should have it by mid November). Do we submit for a review, or wait and collect as much info as possible for an appeal?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Etienne

Re: Etienne/Sally-Anne - Advice on Bucks review/appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
Padawan wrote:Hi, I've been reading the forum avidly and trying to work out the best route to take for my DS but still dithering about it and hoped you might be able to offer some sage advice.
If you mean recommending whether to go for a review or appeal, this is the point at which we run for cover. :lol:
I'm afraid it's a bit of a gamble. All we can do is highlight some of the issues.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, my DS was assessed in Y5 spring term by the CC Cognition & Learning team and was found to have specific problems with processing speed, on the 6th centile. The conclusion was that DS was likely to process information at a slower rate than his peers and that various support methods be used in the classroom allowing him time to process delivery of instructions and verbal information, time to proof read, etc.

In the STTS exams, he wasn't given any extra time and we feel that this disadvantaged him. We're not sure if we were meant to request it or the school was meant to request it, or even whether he would have qualified for it.
In the 'Moving up to Secondary School Guide' it says: "..... the parents may wish to discuss their child’s access to the tests with his or her headteacher. If the disability might affect access, you should discuss whether any special testing arrangements should be made. If it is felt that adjustments should be put in place for the tests, then your child’s headteacher should contact us or, if this is not possible, then please email: admissions@buckscc.gov.uk
We need to know about this before your child sits the tests so that an application can be considered beforehand.
"

I think the school had responsibility in the matter too. (I assume they must have known about the very low processing speed, and the recommendations that were made following the assessment.)
BCC guidelines in the light of the Equality Act state "The duty on schools (and in the matter of the Secondary Transfer Testing process only, the LA on behalf of the grammar schools) to make reasonable adjustments is anticipatory." [my underlining]
"Discrimination may occur by ......... failing to take reasonable steps to ensure that disabled pupils or prospective pupils are not placed at a substantial disadvantage in comparison with their non-disabled peers. This is known as the ‘reasonable adjustments’ duty."

Whether you go to review or appeal, I suggest you tick the box on the form next to "Do you believe your child has a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010?" and attach a copy of the assessment. Part of your case could be that the school did not fulfil its duty to be 'anticipatory', and your son was consequently at a disadvantage in the tests because no reasonable adjustments were made.

The panel may or may not agree, depending on the details of the report and on all the circumstances, but at least the matter will be considered. (It is perfectly possible, by the way, for different panels to come to different decisions.)
Etienne
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Hi Etienne, thanks for replying. We do feel that we haven't been proactive enough in this and DS is now paying the price unfortunately :(

With regard to ticking the box relating to disabilities, we don't have a Statement, only the C&L assessment report. Does that matter? I thought we would need much stronger evidence to support the case, eg EP report.

Thanks again.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Sorry, posted too soon. Also, do you think the SATs/CATs and other evidence are strong enough, given the issue with processing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Padawan wrote: With regard to ticking the box relating to disabilities, we don't have a Statement, only the C&L assessment report. Does that matter? I thought we would need much stronger evidence to support the case, eg EP report.
The reason for ticking the box is just to draw attention to the matter. Stronger evidence is not a prerequisite - but, as with most things, the more evidence the better! :)
Also, do you think the SATs/CATs and other evidence are strong enough, given the issue with processing?
I think he's done well in the light of the processing speed. There's no easy answer to your question, though - different appeal panels could have different expectations. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- and that's without throwing into the mix processing speed, and trying to guess the extent to which it could have affected the results!
Etienne
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Thanks for taking the time to respond Etienne, we think he's done well too. So back to dithering re review or appeal .... I'm not usually this indecisive :D
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Thanks Etienne for the advice you've given me. I'm just collating any relevant supporting evidence for our submission and I'm wondering whether to include the behavioural optometrists report on DS which includes some information on his visual processing. Do you think this is a good idea for providing more information about his processing or do you think it will muddy the waters?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If it sheds some light on the processing problem, it sounds as if you should include it.
Etienne
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

Yes, it does provide more info but is quite a wordy report.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You could consider marking the key bits which support your case - but don't use a highlighter (or when the papers are photocopied for the panel in black & white, it is likely to turn into a horrible smudge!).
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now