OH Boy 11+ appeal Wirral

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mammy1

OH Boy 11+ appeal Wirral

Post by mammy1 »

Can't quite believe we're in this position! 11+ results paper 1 =119, paper 2 =111, pass mark 236 therefore a shortfall of 6, it has devastated all of us! So, we will appeal to Calday GS, levels predicted end of year 6 are, Math 5a, Reading 5b and Writing 5b. Headmaster will support.I have one child already in the school, my son has attended many of Caldays workshops from year 3 upwards by invitation from the schools centre for gifted children (will this help)? Any advice please? Anything?
Gutted!!
yoyo123

Re: OH Boy 11+ appeal Wirral

Post by yoyo123 »

this is a good place to start

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mammy1

Post by mammy1 »

Thanks yoyo123, I have read hundreds of articles and threads over the past week, obsessive some may say! I say desperate! All boil down to the same thing in my opinion, to stand any chance, you must have evidence that the child is working to GS standard, this generally being at least a level 5 in core subjects.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Hi Mammy1,

I would just add that being at level 5 could be thought of as just a starting point for proving academic suitability for grammar School.

Nationally over 40% of children this year reached level 5 in Maths and English at the end of year 6. Most grammar schools are looking to take a much smaller percentage than this so any evidence would be better if it's showing high level 5/level 6. Exceptional circumstances would probably be needed for anything less.

At the same time it really helps to have other evidence that is not curriculum based that shows very high ability/potential. This is because SATs themselves are testing curriculum knowledge which is pretty trainable, and grammar Schools want ability rather than purely hardworking, trained children. I'm sure you've seen Etienne writing time after time that lots of evidence of high academic ability is needed.
mammy1

Post by mammy1 »

Thanks Sanna,
I guess it also depends on regional standard.
My son is in a GBR squad (sport not academic), do you think that may be helpful?
Last edited by mammy1 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mammy1 - the key part of an appeal is academic evidence,
unfortunately sports achievements aren't really relevant to non qualification appeals
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

mammy1 wrote: My son is in a GBR squad (sport not academic), he is one of only eighteen in England
Wow! That's impressive in it's own right!! You must be so proud of him!

While academic evidence is the key to successful appeals perhaps the sporting level might be part of your appeal case if the training has impacted performance in the exams?

I don't know your schools.
mammy1

Post by mammy1 »

Thank you Sanna, yes indeed we are very proud!
My son was leaving school after the last paper (and the failed one) to make a 300 mile car journey in order to take part in a coaching weekend in his chosen sport, this was the lead up for selection (the following weekend) into the mentioned squad, I have thought that his focus could well have been distracted due to this, but am I just clutching at straws??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's worth a very brief mention, but, as everyone is telling you, what really matters is academic evidence of high ability
- the more, the better! :)
Etienne
mammy1

Post by mammy1 »

Yes,thanks Etienne.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now