Raw score v's paper remark & analyses Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tkc3

Raw score v's paper remark & analyses Bucks

Post by Tkc3 »

I note from Etienne's link on requesting remarks that BCC remark by hand & do an analyses.

My DS2 did poorly in the Verbal and i am very keen to understand any Particular issues he may have had in his test. He claims he found the jumbled sentences extremely hard and only managed 2 of 15 (not sure if these are accurate figures).

Does anyone know what the difference of just getting Raw scores would be compared to a remark and analyses (except the obvious £30 difference :D )

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Raw score v's paper remark & analyses Bucks

Post by Etienne »

Several forum members sent us a copy of their analysis last year.

It gave a description of the kind of question in each section, and what score was obtained.

For example:
First Test Paper

Section 1 - a word of four letters is hidden at the end of one word and the beginning of the
next word. Find the pair of words that contains the hidden word - 5 out of 8 correct

Section 2 - letters stand for numbers. Work out the answer to each sum, then find its letter -
7 out of 7 correct

Section 3 - the same letter must fit into both sets of brackets, to complete the word in front of
the brackets and begin the word after the brackets - 6 out of 7 correct -

Section 4 - find the two words, one from each group, that will complete the sentence in the
best way - 6 out of 7 correct

Section 5 - find the next pair of letters in the series - 7 out of 7 correct

etc.
Hope this helps a bit.
Etienne
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

Thanks Etienne

I have just received an email from BCC :

The services we offer, and their charges, are as follows:

· Scores 1 - The raw score (the mark out of 95 for Paper 1 and 108 for Paper 2, before standardisation) for all of your child’s Transfer Test papers - £10

or

· Scores 2 - For all of your child’s Transfer Test papers; a remark by hand and confirmation of the Standardised score - £25

Should you wish to formally request one of these services, please visit our website –

https://apps2.buckscc.gov.uk/ecommerce/ ... Admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will be able to select which of the above options you would like and can then pay securely online with a debit or credit card. We hope to respond to your request in approximately 10 working days, although this can vary slightly depending on the volume of requests that we receive.

I've opted for the remark!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, tkc,

The wording I quoted was what they put in the updated headteachers manual dated 2nd October 2013.

I see they've now changed the wording in the headteachers manual, although it's still not quite the same as what you've had!

The latest version there states:
"2. Raw scores, test papers remarked by hand and then scores for each element provided - £25 fee".

I'll copy all these versions and the website link to the Raw Marks thread on Bucks, so that we have all the information in one place.
Where a child has taken part in the transfer testing process we have agreed to provide, upon receipt of the appropriate fee:

1. Raw scores only - £10 fee

2. Raw scores, test papers remarked by hand and then scores for each element provided - £25 fee

The council will only provide this service at certain times of the year immediately following the release of test results, and therefore all requests must be made within 21 days of the parents receiving notification of their child’s performance in the tests. Where a request is received after this date, the LA may refuse to provide the information.

Under Schedule 7(9) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the grammar schools are not required to provide exam scripts or the information recorded in them, hence we will only provide this information on the payment of a £10/£25 fee as we are required to undertake extra work in order to provide the requested information.

In all instances, we would suggest that the parent discusses their intention to request such information with you. All requests must be made in writing and be accompanied by the appropriate fee.

We hope that parents will be able to request, and pay for, the services above online, and where a
parent requests the information in 1 or 2 above, we will tell them how they may do this.

Any parent paying by cheque should make it payable to Buckinghamshire County Council.

Where this information is requested it will, in all cases, be provided to the Selection Review Panel.
Etienne
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Scores of each element would be much more useful than a repeat stndardised score, is there any way to find out which it is? The bcc staff just say re-mark, and i notice the pice is now lower? Perhaps they are afraid an analysis will give away the cem format.
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

Ok, so I've sent my request for my DS2's paper to be remarked & assessed, however am now anticipating its arrival with some anxiety as Fridays 'review' deadline is fast approaching.
Can anyone shed any light on expected time frames for the return of the analyses? Or should I just submit my review explaining more information will follow?

Thanks
Tkc3

Bucks remark - this is what you get for £25

Post by Tkc3 »

So this is what you get for you £25 from Bucks:
Sorry but I tried to scan it but was unable to attach.

Test 1
Section score achieved (max. raw score)
comprehension 10 ( 25)
Opposite words 13 (25)
Pictures 12 ( 21
Maths1. 15 ( 24)

Test 2
Maths2. 10 ( 16)
Matching words 9 (28)
sequences 20 ( 32)
left over words 6 ( 14)
missing words 5 ( 18)

Raw scores - overall
component score
verbal 43
maths 25
non verbal 32
total 100

Calculation
1. full age standardised score 2. component scores - weighted
verbal 89.29 verbal 44.64
maths 131.51 maths 39.45
non verbal 120.16 non verbal 24.03

3. overall weighted score (STTS) = 108

The raw score to age standardised score calculation to remove the age effect is:

age std score = SD* (raw score-(age*age coefficent) - mean + Mean
standard deviation

1. The three measures (verbal, maths and non verbal) are standardised separately using a mean of 100 and standard deviation of -38.

2. 50% of the verbal age standardised score, plus
30% of the maths age standardised score, ply
20% of the Non verbal age standardised score.

3. the Weighted age standardised score has a mean of 100 and standard deviation of approximately 38. Decimal places are always rounded down.
Last edited by Tkc3 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tkc3

Re: Bucks remark - this is what you get for £25

Post by Tkc3 »

sorry, but it hasn't posted as it was written... with regards spacing of numbers in columns etc.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I have finally received my ds's raw sore and re-mark back from bcc.
I have promised not to tell anyone his individual marks, as he is embarrassed about a few, and I have to respect his wishes on here, as I would at home, but can offer the following.
Please bear in mind, these results may have absolutely no relation to future bucks cem tests at all, and should NOT be used to work out pass marks for next year...I have a yr 5 son too, and am aware that there is no telling what may come up, or what this test content really was.
Ds was adamant that the real test was harder than familiarisation and practice tests from bcc, he also said it was far more "cramped" than cpg cem tests. The comprehension was all inference, which he is v good at, and he did well at, but guessed between 5-7 questions at the end, the synonyms apparently do not allow time to use tricks like eliminating different word types, you either know it or you don't, and they are very similar, the cloze was apparently very clearly set out, and easier than the ones we did at home (first past the post). That is all I gleaned, and I want to leave him alone now, as I could see he was a bit upset I had brought it up again.

V= 59/110 (56%)
M=20/40 (50%)
Nvr= 31/53 (58%)

Feb born standardisation:
V= 118.55
M=107.79
Nvr= 113.54

This boiled down to an extra 4 marks after standardisation : final result 114

Like for like tests eg. Maths, nvr and synonyms/antonyms all dropped over 10% from test 1 to test 2, had the test ended at the last question of test 1 he would have passed.

Annoyingly the more fatigued the child got, the quicker he had to perform, but I am aware that it was the same for all children. However my ds is allowed teacher discretionary breaks in between sections of his sats to allow for fatigue due to tracking problems (he refuses them) but the 11+ cem test just seems to focus on their ability to barrel along. Difficult to do when in theory he is reading many lines twice for every one line us normal folks read, it is exhausting, and he often starts yawning and rubbing his eyes just reading books, let alone problem solving. Here's hoping his eyes will start working as a pair again very soon.

Moderators please feel free to pop these results into any useful bucks sticky as required.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Does anyone else have an analysis?
Does anyone know the true order that the sections were presented in? My ds seems to think it is a different order on the analysis results than the actual test.
Does anyone else have raw scores v standardised scores with the month their child was born, it seems, between the three I know of anyway, the standardisation does make quite a difference, as the test results are now so spread out.
Pm' s welcome if you do not wish to publish results, but I am trying to get my head round what my ds1's analysis actually shows, which is hard for a layman without comparables.

Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now