Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BlueBerry22

Re: Bucks Appeal for BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Thanks Etienne.

Another question - open to all

If evidence can be shown that a child needs extra time in the exam - is it usually granted ?

I have read on other threads for other areas that it can be hard to convince the Admissions Authority to give extra time - what was the situation in Bucks this year - do we know or have any experience ?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If evidence can be shown that a child needs extra time in the exam - is it usually granted ?
I think it may depend on exactly what the evidence is.

I suspect that admission authorities prefer a situation where special arrangements are already in place at school.
(This, of course, isn't possible if the disability has only been recently diagnosed.)
I have read on other threads for other areas that it can be hard to convince the Admissions Authority to give extra time - what was the situation in Bucks this year - do we know or have any experience ?
No recent information, I'm afraid, but we were sent the following figures some years ago (presumably the result of an FoI request):
    • No. of pupils tested - 7230
      Applications for various adaptations - 100

Extra time:
      15 pupils - 5 minutes
      2 pupils - 10 minutes
      3 pupils - 12.5 minutes
      0 pupils - 25 minutes
      2 pupils - school discretion
Note that most of these children didn't get more than 5 minutes.

It wouldn't surprise me if these figures were fairly typical, but I must stress we've not seen any recent data.

BCC's requirements for 2014 state:
  • extra time - particular evidence:
    • Clear evidence from professionals in addition to school based staff, to show impact of child’s difficulties in similar timed tests. Reading ability and speed should be provided to enable Special Access Panel to evaluate. Occupational therapy report where a child has slow processing speed.
  • appropriate for:
    • Children with significant physical, motor or visual difficulties.
      Children who are severely dyspraxic or dyslexic.
Etienne
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hmmm

Would be interesting if anyone had any experience this year as effectively the 11+ was a series of 9 mini tests - each timed separately -

There are thoughts that some sections were as short as 2 minutes - so even an extra 25% would have been tiny (although I think for my DC may have been significant - had we known of the various issues)

Anyone any knowledge of this year ?
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

BlueBerry22 wrote:Hmmm

Would be interesting if anyone had any experience this year as effectively the 11+ was a series of 9 mini tests - each timed separately -

There are thoughts that some sections were as short as 2 minutes - so even an extra 25% would have been tiny (although I think for my DC may have been significant - had we known of the various issues)

Anyone any knowledge of this year ?
Yes, I have knowledge of this year. My DS qualified for 25% extra for the english and maths sections for his dyslexia. I think you can't get extra time for any of the non verbal sections. So in the test itself each of the mini sections for maths and english was longer by 25%; for example - a 5min section would become a 6.25min section! As his scenario for extra time is the standard one, CEM had provided the school with a CD of timings that covered this and he sat the tests in a separate room.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sanna will be more knowledgeable, but I do know it is extremely difficult to get extra time unless the processing or dyslexia affects the childs ability to keep up (within parameters) during normal lessons. A friend's son is dyslexic, but not severely enough to have a special needs assistant giving him extra help or occupational therapy, he was not granted extra time, on the basis that he does not have extra time in class for normal activities. I guess they have to be very black and white about it.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Thanks guys - I spoke to our Senco about the issue - was told that extra time is only ever granted by Bucks for a physical disability.

Even with this knowledge it wouldn't have stopped me applying.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Not true about them having to have a physical disability, and I suspect that the SENCO would never put that in writing. If they would, then you could show it to the county and I very strongly suspect that the SENCO would be contacted as what was said is NOT true.

Does the school currently give him extra time to do other tests. Do you have an ed psych report which states how the dyslexia slows him down. To get the extra time you have to have evidence from professionals about your specific child. It is not enough to say he has dyslexia as dyslexia affects different people at different levels. You need to show evidence that your specific child needs the time because of how the dyslexia effects him.

If it turns out that he should be having extra time, then you will probably find you also have the evidence needed for him to get extra time on the SAT's also.

If you do not have the right evidence now, I would still apply for it, as if you get the evidence at a later date it could help with a review or appeal. If an appeal panel were to feel that adjustments should have been made, and that if the adjustment had been made your child would have passed, a finding of discrimination would occur, and really give weight to admitting them. This being said, you would need evidence that he needs extra time and how his specific dyslexia effects him.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BlueBerry22 wrote:Thanks guys - I spoke to our Senco about the issue - was told that extra time is only ever granted by Bucks for a physical disability.
Definitely not true, as Atilla says. I know of a small number of children who have been granted extra time for dyslexia.

As Etienne says, the numbers are very small because the system was beginning to be abused. BCC clamped down on requests quite hard a few years ago, preferring to leave appeal panels to sort out the veracity of claims of SEN and their potential impact on performance.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hi Atilla,

DC has only just been diagnosed but falls into exam access category - so we are just at the beginning of the journey.

If I had of asked the SENCO to apply for extra time and they had refused to I would certainly have pushed it but the situation didn't arise as unfortunately we didn't know back in Sept.

But if we decide to go for the 12+ we will certainly apply.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Looking at the Green Book supplied with the appeal form it says on Page 9 - that hearings will last for approx 15 mins.

I certainly have more to say than 15 mins worth.

Does anyone know if last year it said the same thing ? Certainly threads from last year - talk of F,C,O taking 45-60 mins and then the academic evidence just 15 mins. It seemed like on average hearings were approx 90 mins.

Do we think they are changing strategy or will we get as long as we need ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now