Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:53 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm
Posts: 4
I'm after some advice, hoping you can tell me whether I should take action or leave it.

My daughter sat for the CEM 11+ in September, in Bucks. She passed with a good score. We put her down for first choice of the nearest Grammar School, and second and third choices for the local Comprehensive Schools.

She got in to her second choice of school. She wasn't in catchment for the first school - their radius is 9 miles, and we are 12 miles away. She is (we hope) on the waiting list for the first choice. The question is whether anything else will take her case forward: her class teacher suggested we call the Grammar School and ask them to review her profile. I can see that if every hopeful parent did that, Admissions would be up in arms! But I'm sore that her high score is unrewarded after sitting the test caused her so much stress.

Can you offer me any advice, please? Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 2826
I would suggest that you ask the mods to move this to the Bucks section and/or appeals, as I think you would get more joy there. Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8204
Location: Buckinghamshire
Hi Gadnitt, and welcome!

I have removed references to your daughter's score from your post because score is not relevant. Any score over 121 is deemed qualified.

Gadnitt wrote:
She wasn't in catchment for the first school - their radius is 9 miles, and we are 12 miles away. She is (we hope) on the waiting list for the first choice.

Have you told Bucks CC Admissions that you want to put her name on the waiting list?

If it is RLS that you applied to, the distance is unlikely to increase by 3 miles over subsequent allocation rounds. If it is Burnham, there is a small possibility of the waiting list delivering a place.

Quote:
The question is whether anything else will take her case forward: her class teacher suggested we call the Grammar School and ask them to review her profile. I can see that if every hopeful parent did that, Admissions would be up in arms!

It will get you absolutely nowhere.

You need to lodge a formal oversubscription appeal. There is general advice about that here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school and information specific to Bucks here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36418

Sally-Anne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11949
If it's RLS then ask if you can apply to the Floyd - it has places!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm
Posts: 4
Thanks for the welcome and the answer Sally.

We were all set to appeal. We've been buying a house, and it's within the 9 mile catchment area, but it's just fallen through. There's a bit of bitterness, mostly because of the house, but also because she deserved a place.

I'm sorry I added the score detail, and thanks for removing it.

We're happy with the local Choice 2 school. How would we go about applying to Sir Henry Floyd as Guest55 suggests?

Thanks

Gaby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8204
Location: Buckinghamshire
You ask Bucks CC Admissions to add Floyd to your CAF as a new preference in second place. (RLS remains your first preference.)

It will (almost 100% certainly) deliver a place in the second round of allocations late next month.

The deadline for new preferences and waiting lists is Friday 21st March.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm
Posts: 4
Thanks Sally-Anne and Guest55 for your advice. I called Floyd this morning, and they're showing us around the school on Wednesday (work was brill about giving me time for it!)

Daughter is very excited and I'm hopeful they'll offer a place.

Just a quick question: if she already has a place at the second choice, and I add Floyd, will she lose the place that she has? What would happen if we put Floyd as the first choice, then RLS *or the comp she has been offered* as the second choice?

Thanks
Gaby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm
Posts: 4
Thanks for your help Guest55, she has been accepted into the school. *Victory dance* We're grateful for all the help and interest you've shown.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
Hi Gadnitt

Delighted to hear that have the place confirmed - well done!

herman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11949
Gadnitt - that's brilliant - it's a great school and I'm sure you won't regret changing your choice.

Induction day is 1st July with a parents evening the day before.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016