Help - Appeal Submission Advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Appeal against non qualification in South Bucks

Post by southbucks3 »

Bucksdad, the mocks are sat in school, for the teachers to see if they have to review any areas with the class or the individual. They should he able to share the results with you.

Fill in your appeal application, make an appointment with your dc teacher to discuss the new supporting statement, and dc' s current working levels and achieved levels. The 121 cat score according to the link q/a Etienne has posted, may be considered borderline, it suggests mid 120's are a bit safer. There is a strong argument that the 11+ test is supposed to select the top 30% of the cohort, as the bucks 11+ test actually accepted top 20% of bucks "opt out" cohort, maybe this is the level to think is ok...which you are still within, but like q/a pages suggest, who knows what the panel perceive to be acceptable.
Like I said though play to dc strengths, rather than making excuses for weakness, someone else on this lovely forum told me that, and they are right.
I am in exactly the same boat, so I know how easy it is to get hung up on cat scores, but if all other academic evidence is very strong, then there is hope.

Good luck x
bucksdad8623

Re: Appeal against non qualification in South Bucks

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Thank you, I think we are going to need it. :)
bucksdad8623

Help - Appeal Submission Advice

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Sorry for asking what to some may be an obvious question.
I’m preparing our submission for the appeal panel and am confused by what to write.
Thanks for posting the excellent draft’ letter of appeal for Mary’ and other advice for how to structure the appeal submission.
From the advice it looks like I need to include points regarding academic evidence and extenuating circumstances only.

The Bucks Admissions guidance suggests as well as academic/extenuating evidence I need to also present evidence of why we believe the selection review wasn’t FCO and we our DS admission won’t prejudice the school.
I accept at a hearing we would need to put our case for non FCO and prejudice, but do I need to present my arguments in evidence submitted before the hearing?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Etienne

Re: Help - Appeal Submission Advice

Post by Etienne »

bucksdad8623 wrote:From the advice it looks like I need to include points regarding academic evidence and extenuating circumstances only.
We've not said that! :?
    • Etienne wrote:B1. Introduction
      a. This section deals with appeals where you are addressing the issue of non-qualification in the 11+ entry test(s) for grammar school. (In all probability, though, you will also need to address the issue of oversubscription. See section C2 .)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[/quote]
bucksdad8623 wrote:The Bucks Admissions guidance suggests as well as academic/extenuating evidence I need to also present evidence of why we believe the selection review wasn’t FCO and we our DS admission won’t prejudice the school.
I accept at a hearing we would need to put our case for non FCO and prejudice, but do I need to present my arguments in evidence submitted before the hearing?
    • Etienne wrote:D11. To summarise .......
        • On the information available to us at present
          we suggest there should be three parts to your case, clearly set out:

(i) Something about 'fair, consistent & objective':

• • It could be as simple as "At the hearing we shall wish to challenge whether the Selection Review was 'fair, consistent & objective'".
                We're inclined to think that this is the best approach (to ask questions at the hearing, and not reveal in advance what they're going to be).

• However, if you have some really strong points to make now, you could go into more detail, listing your concerns ("We don't think the review process was fair, consistent & objective, because .........."), and adding "There may be further points we shall wish to raise at the hearing, having heard the Admission Authority's case."

(Ideal length: anything from a single sentence up to half-a-page)

Do not use the appeal form to ask questions - questions should be left until the hearing.

(ii) The case for qualification: either "Please see our previously submitted Selection Review case and accompanying evidence" - or set out your updated case.
          (Ideal length: anything from a sentence up to a page. Any supporting evidence would be additional to this, and should be attached as appendices.)

(iii) Reasons for wanting or needing a place.
          (Ideal length: approx. half-a-page. Any supporting evidence would be additional to this, and should be attached as appendices.)
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[/quote]
Etienne
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Thanks Etienne it’s much clearer now.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Bucksdad, put my mind at rest, you have submitted the application to appeal form to bucks county haven't you?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

southbucks3 wrote:Bucksdad, put my mind at rest, you have submitted the application to appeal form to bucks county haven't you?
From earlier in the thread I think this was the plan.
    • bucksdad8623 wrote:The advice I’m getting from all directions is just to get the form in on time and gather your evidence later.
Etienne
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Southbucks3, I have submitted the forms but in the section detailing our reasons for appealing I wrote ‘ Details of our case to follow’.
My strategy, (and please can anyone comment if they think it’s wrong?) is to get our written submission done as far as we can, and submit it close to the deadline.
For one it give us more time to gather evidence, we also might have the case from the Admissions Authority which we may be able to find evidence to counter and it gives them less time to counter our claims.
This is the first time we’ve done this so any advice on timing would be gratefully received. Thanks
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Phew....that's ok then...You had me worried for a minute.

I think you should do whatever you feel comfy with, personally I just wanted to hand the whole lot in and dust my hands down....now the wait for the appeal date.

The over subscription bit is the least of my worries tbh, I am a one step at a time kind of chick!
bucksdad8623

Bucks Appeal Submission

Post by bucksdad8623 »

It’s late Saturday night and I’m trying make final changes to our appeal submission, I have that feeling of panic I used to get just before an exam when I knew I hadn’t done enough revision.
We have our stage 1 towards the end of May so I want to get the paperwork sent off within the next week. I can’t help thinking I’ve written too much.
I’ve split the appeal into 5 sections, case against FCO (I haven’t written much here, I thought I’d wait till the hearing), academic evidence, extenuating circumstances, reasons for wanting a place, prejudice to the school. It comes to just over 3 pages plus the evidence and I can’t help thinking it’s too long.
Can anyone comment?
Sally, Etienne would you be able to give an opinion on the submission length and weight of each section if I submit a copy as a private message (sorry if I’m asking too much)?

I feel compelled at the appeal to push my arguments that the selection review wasn’t FCO, I suspect the panel members will be bored to tears with the same arguments.
My worry is that if I don’t convince them that the selection review wasn’t FCO then everything else that follows in the appeal will not be considered.
On the other hand I don’t want to annoy them by appearing to waste time asking lots of questions.
Any advice for how to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now