Do I have a right to see the invigilators report?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sillyjolly

Using Entrance Exam Success As Academic Ability

Post by sillyjolly »

Hi - can anyone advise me if it is acceptable to use evidence that my DS passed a school entrance exam as evidence of academic ability.
The school entrance exam that he passed is from a high achieving independent school and the school we are appealing for is an Academy.
Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Using Entrance Exam Success As Academic Ability

Post by hermanmunster »

There is a bit about other exams taken in the FAQ http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sillyjolly

Do I have a right to see the invigilators report?

Post by sillyjolly »

Hi

My DS was disturbed during a test and said the teacher took down the name of the boys etc etc but the school are refusing to let me have the invigilators log. They said I can ask questions during the appeal and the representative of the school can deny or confirm.

Is this right?
Etienne

Re: Do I have a right to see the invigilators report?

Post by Etienne »

You almost certainly have the right to see any entry relating to your child.

However, this is different in that you are seeking information with the names of other children (which you have no right to see).
There seems no reason why these names cannot be redacted, though.

The school is probably not being unreasonable, but if you want to pursue the matter, you could try adapting the specimen letter here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Replace "Subject access request (Data Protection Act 1998)" with "Freedom of Information Act", and "This request is being made under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998" with "This request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act".

In other words, you would not be seeking any personal information, but merely asking "What incidents were recorded?"
Etienne
Dids

Post by Dids »

I requested it and got a reply saying it contains nothing relating to your child. He used his inhaler during the exam and went to the toilet, another child was taken out because he was upset, could be a distraction. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with it x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

At the hearing, point out that you wanted to establish what disturbances took place. Ask the school representative why they refused to make the evidence available (with names redacted). Tell the panel that you understood from the Appeals Code that the school should respond to reasonable requests for information. Point out that they also refused a Freedom of Information request. Stress that you weren't seeking any personal data. You were asking for the invigilator's record of any incidents (with names redacted) - not the school's version or opinion of what was recorded.

You could make a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner - but it is likely to take a very long time.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now