It's the end of the line

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crecheout

It's the end of the line

Post by crecheout »

Well, that's it for me. I have attended my last appeal today and there is no more I can do to try to assist my ds in his quest for a grammar school place.
I have to say, it has been a learning experience! Thank goodness I don't have any younger children, there's only so much learning anyone needs!
If I had to give a tip to anyone else who ends up in this horrible situation it would be to read everything on this wonderful site, take all the advise you can get and try to keep it all in perspective.
We appealed for 2 schools and on the second appeal I really felt much more prepared for the type of questions I would be likely to be asked. This gave me time to have thought about it in advance and gather more relevant evidence to counter the arguments I was likely to face. If I had appealed for 3 schools I reckon I would have had it cracked!
No idea what the outcome of this one wil be for us, but whatever happens I know I gave it my all and did everything I could to help my ds.
So thank you to everyone that has started, or contributed to threads on this forum and of course the wonderful moderators who are beacons of calm and sense in all the madness.
Good luck to everyone awaiting the results of their appeal and to anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation in the future.
pheasantchick

Re: It's the end of the line

Post by pheasantchick »

Hope you don't have to wait long for your results, and I hope it goes your way.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Good luck with your second appeal, I guess there isn’t too long to wait now. You’re lucky knowing you don’t have to go through this again. I don’t hold out much chance of success but at least this is good practice if I need to go through the same process with my daughter in 3 years time. We’ll know the outcome for JHGS later this week, like me you probably just want to know the result in order to move on and get on with your life.
When it comes to listing the school preferences for my daughter I’m going my to apply for more grammar schools then you get more bites of the appeal cherry (we only applied for 2 grammar schools when we were listing our preferences this time).

Thanks for your support and good luck with the outcome.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Bucksdad,

Assuming, like me you have resigned yourself to the fact that the local upper will be educating your boy I have the following to reply:

1. Your little girl may pass easily anyway.
2. You will be so happy at the way your son has settled in to upper and achieved so much in three years, that you won't he worried if your girl joins him.

For me, it is the unknown that scares me, having only an older son in grammar. However so many friends have reassured me about the local upper it's amazing. One even brought their sons work along to show me, which was completely different to the gs work, but much clearer and better laid out. I was impressed, they seemed to put more effort into work sheets and guided learning, whereas the gs relies heavily on iPad work and text books, great for a motivated boy, but if they hate the subject, they tend to go off boil.
Chat with people you know who have kids at your upper in top streams, you will be pleasantly surprised.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Southbucks3,
I agree in 3 years time I might see things completely differently, I suspect my DS will have settled into his school and all my worries will be a distant memory.
I am reasonably sure thought that my daughter will struggle with her 11+. She has dyslexia (mild I think) which the school doesn’t want to have to deal with (one of her teachers is happy to mention the D word the others are in denial).

I know there is still some hope for JHGS but I’m trying to assume the worst. All my feelings about the process are negative, and I’m sure I’m not alone with this. I feel angry at myself for not helping my DS earlier when it was clear with hindsight that he was struggling, and resentment that boys who I know aren’t as bright as my DS are going to grammar school and he isn’t. I know I’m biased but it doesn’t stop me feeling the way I do. When he starts at his upper school in September and is doing well, then I’ll feel better.

You have a good positive attitude, deep down I know what you say is right and having a parent who cares about their child’s education counts for more than any grammar school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is always 12+ if you feel the Upper is not right for your child.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

As well as 12+ most friends have confirmed the big switch for sixth form, as many upper school students go to grammar sixth forms, complete with a full set of good gcse grades.

Bucks dad, I do resent some children that have places, or rather the system that allows those children to gain a place, it would be a lie if I did not, but my little man has been very level headed about the whole thing. He knows he should be going to grammar really, pretty much everyone in an official capacity, his parents, his brother, parents that help out at school and his peers have all told him as much. But he thinks he will be happy at upper, he much prefers the area the school is located in, the sport facilities are better, he will get home quicker. We met the deputy head for a chat before the appeals, she has already proved to him she completely understands his situation and has told him if he works hard, or even harder if needed, to compensate for his reading difficulties, then he will be a great success.

The stories of Rob Clark's daughter and trees daughter and also a girl in our village have all helped me see if the child wants to succeed at upper, they will. I am now furnishing my son with a "you show them kiddo" attitude.

He will be sad not to join his whole group of peers at RGS, he will also be sad not to join his bruv, but those people can stay in his life and join the new friends he will make.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Brilliant post SB3 :D

The students from Uppers who join our sixth form have a great work ethic (better than some of our 'home' students) and, if they respond well to the faster pace, do really well.

Remember, as has been posted many times before, 'cream always rises to the top'.
crecheout

Post by crecheout »

Have to report that sadly it was a no for us on second appeal as well. Didn't get past the FCO stage :(
It's over and out for me, good luck to anyone else who gets their envelope today.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'm very sorry to read that, Crecheout. The very best of luck with future plans. Your DS will thrive wherever he goes with you behind him.
Last edited by fatbananas on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now