Need advice on appealing Kent test on NVR only

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Need Advice on Appealing Kent Test on NVR Only

Post by Etienne »

Unfortunately we don't have any alternative test scores, NVR reports or CATs to offer up
No easy answer, I'm afraid, apart from an EP report which includes NVR - but (a) it would be expensive, (b) there's no guarantee it would help the case.

This is covered in the Q&As:
    • If you are concerned about one particular aspect of the 11+ results (for example, an unexpectedly low result in non-verbal reasoning) it might be possible to limit the cost of an EP report considerably by asking if just this one area could be tested (using the British Ability Scales NVR tests, for example). It may not be easy to find an EP willing to do this, however, as most will probably want to give the full battery of tests.
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sasha37

Post by sasha37 »

Thanks, yes I did read that. I thought it might be a bit much and probably not really viable at such short notice.

I think I'll go down the 'high academic ability across the board' route and hope it wins through for her. Hopefully it will help that the school still has places and their statement infers that children that achieved at least 100 each in VR and maths with an aggregate score of at least 340 have been shown to cope well.

I should know the outcome by 16th July so fingers crossed for a positive result.

Thanks again for all your help.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If you were going to do a full EP assessment I am sure you could get one pretty quickly. When's the appeal? It's only a long wait for an EP if you are doing it through school.

If you didn't like the results of the EP assessment then you just wouldn't use it. Whether it's worth the money depends on what you are alternative is.

Good luck.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

In appeals, you have to prove that your child is up to grammar ability, rather than why they failed the 11+. So definitely take the high academic ability. Maybe mention the move in passing, and explain that you were late to the grammars school.

Also, be prepared to answer general questions. I got asked about reading, for example and whether he enjoyed it. Fortunately, dc had recently got into to a series of books, and just asked for the latest one, so I could quote that. Also they asked about his sports hobbies. Be prepared for literally anything (this paragraph may be more appropriate for the actual appeal hearing, rather than the submitted appeal).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sasha37

Post by sasha37 »

Thanks all.
The appeal date is 14th July.

I've submitted my letter and the head teacher's support letter in advance. I should have her level 6 teacher assessments and SATs results available for the day. I have focused more on her high ability evidence and offered the move and travelling as a possible explanation for why she didn't perform quite as well as expected on the day. Even though she scored 128 in the maths paper it's still actually out of character for her not to score more or less full marks on a level 5 paper under normal circumstances, so I know she wasn't functioning at her full potential.

Thanks for the hearing advice too, it's much appreciated! I've tried to be as prepared as I can for all the other possible questions that may come up. Luckily she's an avid reader and has been obsessed with books since she was tiny.

I was initially quite down about having to travel 450 miles, 5 days before we're moving to defend what I have always known about my child's ability, but I suppose on the brighter side; who wouldn't relish the opportunity to spend 20 minutes talking about how brilliant your child is to some people that are actually interested?? :)
sasha37

Post by sasha37 »

Wow well that was all remarkably painless!!

I attended the appeal hearing yesterday, they went through all the mandatory introductions and information and said they had all the evidence they needed. They stated that there was only 1 place left but as my daughter's scores were so high she was already very high on the list to be allocated it before I'd even spoken and asked if perhaps I could say a few words about the 110 NVR result.

I mentioned that the test date had been brought forward and coincided with SATs week and we'd had to make a 4 hour journey the night before so she was a bit tired. I was keen to say it was a 'possible explanation' and not an excuse as her SATs results and 'without reservation' support from her head teacher evidenced her academic ability.

They didn't ask me a single question about her but they did say that the circumstances were absolutely relevant and completely sympathised with how difficult it must have been for her. They then apologised that I had had to come all this way for such a short session, 10 minutes in and I was free to go.

A few hours later I received a phone call from the school to say my appeal had been successful and when could we come in to make the admission arrangements!! :D :D :D

Thanks to you all for your input and advice, it helped enormously to have somewhere to turn :)
We're all very happy, relieved and looking forward to starting our new life x
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Sounds like the right outcome! Well done for helping to make it happen. You must come across as well in real life as you do in your posts... Every success to your daughter.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now