11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eddas

Re: Kent Test appeal.Missed maths by 6 marks. Maidstone area

Post by Eddas »

Thanks dingding, dd has been trying very hard this year in her maths
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Is there a way to find out how many places were offered at the school I want to appeal to for the current year now the offers are out? I know the PAN for the year.
salsa

Post by salsa »

You can ask the school. I would also make a Freedom of Information request asking how many appeals have been granted in the past 5 years.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

[exercise books] Not sure if they're necessary, thought they may backup the letter. Yes the school are providing a letter with current and predicted levels for me.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • Note 1:

Different areas may vary in the way they approach school work. Generally speaking, I would have thought most appeals administrators will not want to be deluged with school work submitted in advance of the hearing.

It would be wholly unreasonable to send in exercise books which would then have to be photocopied at least FIVE times (so that everyone involved in the hearing has a copy).

Photocopies of selected pieces of school work might also be discouraged, although it depends on local practice The problem with photocopies is: (1) it might look as if you are carefully selecting specific pages while concealing others, and (2) photocopies are not always clear, and the teacher’s comments (which are what ought to matter), if made in red, may be less obvious.

If the work for key subjects such as English and maths is of high quality (with very good marks and/or very positive comments), take it with you to the hearing, and ask the panel if it would be helpful. They may not be very interested (perhaps taking the view that they already have a letter from the headteacher or SATs levels summarising the quality of the work), and they may not even have time, but at least you will have given them the option.

Another reason why some panels may prefer not to look at school work is that it’s not their role to assess it. However, I doubt that anyone is really asking them to do this – all they should be asked to do is look at the evidence of the teacher’s marks and comments! They are under a duty to consider any academic evidence the parent wishes to submit, and a panel should think carefully before refusing to accept relevant evidence, especially if it is pointed out that they are not being asked to assess the work.

Having said that, I would accept that there’s little point pressing the matter if the panel are not interested – except in situations where parents are short of evidence (perhaps because the primary school will not co-operate). or where parents are seeking to demonstrate the impact of extenuating circumstances at a particular point in time. In these situations, school work – depending on what it reveals – would be an essential part of the case.

Otherwise, the suggestion that exercise books for the main academic subjects could be taken to the hearing, and made available only if they would assist the panel with their decision, would seem a very reasonable approach.
Etienne
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Thanks Salsa and Etienne.

I've finished my two appeal letters, really pleased they're done but very scared in case I haven't written the right things!! :?

Stage 1 of the appeal very nearly complete, just need to post them off tomorrow
salsa

Post by salsa »

Best of luck!
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Salsa, you reminded me about the FOI request up thread, I sent an email late Sunday night and got a reply today the statistics look encouraging so thank you for the reminder.

I am going to contact the school regarding numbers within year groups tonight. It'll be useful information for the appeal hearing as a comeback against class numbers, if that comes up.

Appeal letters got sent today. It made me very nervous going into the Post Office and actually posting it after all the time I've spent looking into it and composing the letter!!

Now to research properly into possible appeal hearing questions and good responses.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Glad to hear it! Schools don't have all the information out there to make it easy to appeal. You've got to get it bit by bit! I'm assuming the school will be full. In any case, I'm sure they will tell you they absolutely cannot cope with one more body in the room. However, I would ask them how they have coped with the extra students so far. What can they say? That they couldn't cope and the children will have a negative impact? If so, is this reflected on their results? Remember you are advocating for ONE child only.
Did you send your letter recorded delivery? If not, make sure you get an acknowledgment as things have been lost in the past!
penguin

Post by penguin »

Good luck with it :D
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Good Luck Eddas !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now