Kent Test appeal.Missed maths by 6 marks. Maidstone area

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedmum.com

Re: Kent Test appeal.Missed maths by 6 marks. Maidstone area

Post by confusedmum.com »

Very true tigger2 - you need to move past the scores and start preparing your DD for what might be a good HS, she did really well in the test and I am sure you are very proud of her. Appeals are a long journey (I know from experience), they are tiring and stressful and you want you DD to enjoy her last year at primary school.

Leave your options open by putting GS on your SCAF, let your school know you are thinking about appealing and that you would like their support. Have a break from it all, then start to put together your case after christmas. You may have done such a very good job at persuading your DD that the HS is such a good option that she may not want you to appeal come March!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Eddas wrote:The only thing on my mind over the last few days has been if we should appeal. The more people we speak to the more confusing it gets. I'm now doubting my gut instict which is to appeal. Someone please give me a virtual slap because I know if we don't try I will regret it. If it isn't successful I know she'll be fine at the high school. But there's still something nagging my brain. Damn it why couldn't the spread of her marks have been slightly different! !!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Thanks for the replies, yes you're right I need to fill the SCAF form in and forget about it. We are telling DD how wonderful the HS is and how she will do brilliantly and today she did say she wasn't sure if she wanted us to appeal. But we can sort that later.

I read another thread which made the SCAF form process a little clearer thanks to a link by Etienne..... I wonder if you can just please confirm that if I put either one or two GS at the top of the form they will simply be ignored and the first HS I put down, even if 3rd on the form, will become my 1st choice. IE the same situation as if I had actually put it 1st?

I may be coming across a little daft as I have already mentioned this up thread but i'd be grateful for confirmation.

Edit...does it matter if my first choice HS is actually an academy??

Thanks

Eddas
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Yes, you're first two grammars will be ignored as you didn't qualify and your third choice will become your first. I don't think it matters if it's an academy or not.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

twinkles wrote:Yes, you're first two grammars will be ignored as you didn't qualify and your third choice will become your first. I don't think it matters if it's an academy or not.
Agreed. :)
Etienne
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Thank you twinkles and etienne. The fog has cleared on that point at least :D
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

I have an evidence q. Based on the fact dd failed because of maths we will concentrate on trying to prove her maths ability mainly. Dd has always struggled with maths tests. Her reports always say that she can do the maths but her tests results don't reflect that. Ie if I show her books it should show when she does work in class its a good level but when she is tested it doesn't reglect that. I think her levels are affected by this. Would an appeal panel look unfavourably if I said that she always gets lower marks in tests than her teachers assess her ability. I can easily get proof of this via school.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Eddas wrote:I have an evidence q. Based on the fact dd failed because of maths we will concentrate on trying to prove her maths ability mainly. Dd has always struggled with maths tests. Her reports always say that she can do the maths but her tests results don't reflect that. Ie if I show her books it should show when she does work in class its a good level but when she is tested it doesn't reglect that. I think her levels are affected by this. Would an appeal panel look unfavourably if I said that she always gets lower marks in tests than her teachers assess her ability. I can easily get proof of this via school.
Hi, Are their levels in Y5 really only assessed on a test? My understanding is that they are assessed throughout the term by the classroom teacher. Do you have any evidence of teacher assessment that is a consistently higher level than the 4B? It would be good if you could I would think. It might be worth a conversation with her class teacher.
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

My understanding is that it is both test and teacher assessment. Therefore I was assuming if test scores are low this will affect scores they are able to give?

I went to see her class teacher today but she's only been in there 6/7 weeks so understandably is still getting to know the children. Although I did look at her current book and apart from dd saying she struggled (they use traffic light system) the actual work she had done, regardless that she marked with amber showed that she got it right! Again the comments were "you know this better that you think" etc. Her teacher agreed confidence is key and I need to try and give her that pre appeal. Could be fun!
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

Hi, now we're into the new year i'm getting back onto the appeal process.

Please could someone clarify the need to gain non-academic evidence for the child. For example, evidence of who she is as a person not from a parent/relative's perspective. I'm not sure i'm explaining well, but someone said they are not only looking at academic evidence, but also at whether the child would be a asset to the school? I'm not sure how true this is and if we should put anything into our appeal about it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now