Should we review? Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rags

Re: Should we review? Bucks

Post by Rags »

Happy for you (and us ..)

I hope that those who haven't been successful can find what they need to go on to have successful appeals.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks rags ***
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I thought I'd post this to help, we had a score of 115, 1:1 HT recommendation, all 5's end of Y5. ( 5A for reading ), predicted level 6 English, 5A maths (working for level 6), 5A writing sats Y6. August child, reading age 15, no cat scores, I enclosed her Y5 school report (with highlighted points) and no extenuating circumstances. Dolly ****
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Good news for you Dollydripmat :) enjoy the feeling :) x x x

... for us similar score, but DCs HT recommendation 1:2, predicted L5a+ (October 2014 was 5b+) and is working for L6 in Maths, Reading 5b+, spelling 14.1yrs, but writing L4a+. DCs school reading was given as 12 yrs (at age 11), however when Ed.Phsyc. carried out tests (did two to clarify result due to schools assessment) DC came out at 12.10+ yrs. We are sure it was the writing level that let us down :( ironically older DC left Y6 at Writing L4a+ (qualified for grammar on old test), a 5b+ at reading and 5b at Maths. They are flying at grammar and when we go to appeal (at DCs grammar) will be taking taking older DCs academic levels (Y5 & Y6) with us, to show that they are excelling there (DC received end of Y7 award for academic levels & attitude to learning, met with Head Teacher for excellent class work) even though older DC entered grammar at the levels the review panel deemed younger DC was not academically suitable for grammar :!:
Heartmum x x x
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

It's difficult to know how they select. I used to think it was the maths score that had to be very good. It does seem they want a good level for writing . Maybe a more able person can comment as I'm no expert on this at all. It must be very upsetting for you , knowing you already have a child flourishing at GS, keep positive and let's hope for a positive result. Thinking of you. Dolly ***
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks Dollydripmat :) x x x ... it is such a frustrating system, ironically if the school had acknowledged DCs usual levels of improvement year on year, usually a 1½ to 2 sub-level increase - never just 1 as the school has this year for writing (new Headteacher) then DC would have come out as a level 5c to 5c+ in Writing. But the panel obviously didn't take into account that in all-subjects from Y2 to Y5 DC has always progressed more than school has predicted for Y5 to Y6. The review panel are happy to query a predicted increase when they believe it is too optimistic but don't appear to view it the other way, especially when there is data to back this up! Such fun :roll:
Heartmum x x x
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sadly, progression is not usually linear, therefore it probably doesn't red flag, especially as work gets harder. I suspect if the school has a good record with regards the Ht recommendations and successful reviews, the panel have no reason to doubt the school's prediction, even if it seems at odds with your child's progression so far.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

heartmum, don't give up, you know your child better than anyone else.

I do sympathise though, my emotions at the moment are flitting between sympathy for my ds2 and outrage at the panel who rejected my Ed Psych report!

I now have to "prove" to the panel that our case wasn't FCO and I have to gather more evidence that ds2 is academically able.

it is frustrating because ( I know its been said so many times on this forum!!) I know ds2 is brighter than his brother (who is at a gs) he just didn't perform well on the day.
Rags

Post by Rags »

MamaBear wrote:have to "prove" to the panel that our case wasn't FCO and I have to gather more evidence that ds2 is academically able.
You have to be able to call into question their ability to prove the selection review was FCO.

Different emphasis - and they have to prove it was FCO, not vice versa.

Might be a more productive way of approaching it.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

you are right rags, it is the other way around, where the admissions authority will attempt to show that our review was FCO

its just so frustrating because the admissions team said to me on the telephone that in absence of levels and a H.T report I don't need to send anything in.
School work would not be considered and I can't just ask any random teacher to assess my child and give him a level- as that needs to happen over a longer period of time.

So I opted for a ed psych report, I spoke to the admissions team today and they said the report was carefully considered but did not indicate he was academically able.
The ed psych assessed him and put him in the top 2% for English and Verbal and the top 3% for Math. She gave him a reading, spelling, vocab age of a 16 yr old and 14yr old. She wrote very emphatically that she believes he is GS material and did a host of other tests too.

I don't know what else the Ed Psych could have written to show he is able. It is so frustrating. I am going to gather evidence for the appeal (namely reports from his tutors and school work) but who knows what they are looking for, it seems so hit and miss.
Rant over! Sorry O.P
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now