Appeal affecting school choice?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Appeal affecting school choice?

Post by Amber »

Yes that is true. In this case though the way I understood the OP was that she wanted the GS first and the HS second and was worried that by appealing for the GS she would lose the HS place.
Because the high school in question is over-subscribed, it is unlikely that we would get in unless we have that down as our first choice (this is information from the head of that school) and that is my concern with appealing at all. More thought needed I think :/.
How is it that head teachers can get away with misleading people like this? As long as the school is the first effective choice (ie the first one you qualify for, on whatever criteria the school applies - passing the eleven plus, distance, sibling or whatever) it doesn't matter where it is on the CAF.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Because they word it to sell their school thus:

"This is a first choice school, every child who had ******* in first position on their caf succeeded in gaining a place last year, if you wish to ensure your child secures a position at this school, put it in first position on the caf."

No lies of course, just no inclusion that it is also a second or third place school.

(I was a sales rep for many years. :wink: )
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Amber I totally agree with you.
Many parents are cautious or baffled by the CAF as it is without schools darkly hinting that placing them anything less than first means losing the place (assuming higher preferences are not able to offer). It is completely dishonest and is likely to result in children missing out on places at schools that they would have preferred and could have been offered.

It also causes wider upset. In March, when people realise they could have qualified for their genuine first choice which they didn't list or listed lower due to a borderline score or bad advice, they can ask to be made last minute additions to the waiting lists. This pushes others already on those lists down, sometimes by many places. For those people too, this is just added stress and worry.

I keep seeing people say that they are going to switch the preference order on their CAFs in light of scores already received or because one school has told them that first preference first still exists. All the efforts of councils and others to get the Equal Preference message across is totally undone by these schools sowing seeds of doubt for their own benefit.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Do you think it is down to genuine misunderstanding on the part of heads? For it used to work like that, I think. Or mischief-making? I can't see what they have to gain from it. Someone needs to come up with a form of words which can be put in red across the CAF - something like:
List the schools you would like your child to go to in the order you like best. Make sure one of the schools on your list is one where you know your child will get a place- because it is your nearest non-selective secondary school or because there is a rule which guarantees siblings a place and you have an older child there. Do not listen to anyone who tells you something different from this, even if they are a head teacher.

Though even that is ambiguous I suppose. :?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It needs to be handled at primary level with a meeting. When you consider the confusion among people on this site who can find their way around the internet and who could easily read a CAF book or form what hope is there for those who can't.

Also if it is a misunderstanding by a head, which I doubt, then it is appalling as they have a duty to ensure that the information they are giving out is up to date as do their admin staff.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Is there some sort of kudos for the school if they receive as many 'first choice' preferences as possible? I have been told by at least three schools (Misbourne, Highcrest and Bourne End) that I would need to list them as my first choice and have often wondered why they go to such lengths to insist upon it. It just panics you.....
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Yes there is kudos attached to it - many schools quote the figures
In addition, grammar schools want to fill places with not only those who passed but that who passed very well. It all feeds into league tables, GCSE results etc. Some schools stress how oversubscribed, successful and popular they are in the hope that those who have very high achieving children will be anxious about potentially missing out.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hyacinth wrote:Is there some sort of kudos for the school if they receive as many 'first choice' preferences as possible? I have been told by at least three schools (Misbourne, Highcrest and Bourne End) that I would need to list them as my first choice and have often wondered why they go to such lengths to insist upon it. It just panics you.....

My friends boy is at highcrest, reluctantly, it was near the bottom of their caf, bad press, poor ofsted. With the streaming restrictions prior to entry she is possibly missing out on the top level kids she wants.
Misbourne is regaining popularity after its fall ftom Grace a few years ago, I imagine it will be quite popular this year with its, rare for an upper, "good" ofsted report. He needs to make sure his seats are filled though.
Haven't a clue about Bourne end.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

southbucks3 wrote:
Hyacinth wrote:Is there some sort of kudos for the school if they receive as many 'first choice' preferences as possible? I have been told by at least three schools (Misbourne, Highcrest and Bourne End) that I would need to list them as my first choice and have often wondered why they go to such lengths to insist upon it. It just panics you.....

My friends boy is at highest, reluctantly, it was near the bottom of their caf, bad press, poor ofsted. With the streaming restrictions prior to entry she is possibly missing out on the top level kids she wants.
Misbourne is regaining popularity after its fall ftom Grace a few years ago, I imagine it will be quite popular this year with its, rare for an upper, "good" ofsted report. He needs to make sure his seats are filled though.
Haven't a clue about Bourne end.
It's such a minefield if you just take everything at face value though isn't it?!
(Many congrats on DS3 result by the way. I've been reading the forum for about a year and I'm so thrilled for you all x)
karen1307

Post by karen1307 »

It was Misbourne I was referring to, so no misunderstanding on my part seemingly about what the head was saying. Not inferring, actually saying! It is terrible and to the person who mentioned about what hope have people who can't navigate themselves around the internet to fact find, I absolutely agree, I consider myself fairly intelligent, but this is a minefield! Thank you everyone for your help. Review filled in and waiting to go. Yikes!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now