Strategy tips - Bucks - please.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hyacinth

Re: Strategy tips - Bucks - please.

Post by Hyacinth »

southbucks3 wrote:Can you meet his teacher instead, you really need to know how many other children passed at that same level, the review panel know this information, why shouldn't you.
The review panel also get ks1 results and his yearly nc levels through middle school.
Facts not flannel is required.
Any reason for the 4a?
To help you feel better both appeal panels I encountered had heads of grammars present in the group meetings, both were on review panels and both said the first and single most important piece of evidence of ability was the score....120 is as high as they will see! :D
Good luck, it's all so nerve wrecking.
I'm not sure how helpful his teacher will be either. Apparently, the head consulted with her on the report. The problem is that the school is in an area with pretty good upper schools and they are quite indifferent about the 11+. The head pretty much dismissed it as 'elitist' today. We don't live near the school and are less fortunate with our local schools...

I'm convinced there was only one other pass. I will plead with the mums for any other news, but I feel pretty secure that is the case.
Other levels as follows:
KS1; R 2a, W 2b, M 3c
Y3; R 3c, W 2a, M 3b (they had a completely useless teacher this year who has since left)
Y4; R 4c, W 3b, M 4c
Y5 & current; R 4a, W 4c, M 4a

The 4a is, I think, because he doesn't use his vocabulary in his writing. His teacher agrees that he has a fantastic vocab but is scared to use it on paper.

Thanks for the reassurance :) It's completely petrifying :shock:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do you think it would be acceptable for me to contact her to say that I feel the sheet doesn't quite reflect the level of support I felt she was willing to give in the meeting (it's very "conscientious student" and they've spelt his name incorrectly throughout)?
I feel it would be better if there happened to be some very specific points you could put to her.
If you have access to a scanner, would you like to scan the form and send it to the Appeals Box?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We might then be able to offer some suggestions.
(In the interests of confidentiality you could blot out any names.)

Note!
Please, everyone, don't ask if you too can have an opinion about your review form. :)
We don't normally have time to do this.
It depends whether we judge it necessary in order to help.
Etienne
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Done! Thank you so much....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks. I'm not sure it contains anything specific you can challenge without risking some damage to your relationship with the school.
I'm also mindful that heads have been told "..... be aware that the contents of the headteacher form are your professional judgement of the child, and you must not change your comments to be more favourable to the child solely at the request of the parents."
The 'tone' isn't totally out of place with a 2:2 recommendation (if that's what it was).

Unfortunately, the wording of Section 6 (Headteacher's additional information) has changed, and no longer starts with the instruction "Please begin this section with a clear statement of your level of support for this child". As a result, you now get the sort of opening sentence you've been given, instead of http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last two lines in Section 6 are irrelevant for a review/appeal, but the school wouldn't necessarily know that. They think they're making positive comments!

Turning to some of the issues you raise:
1. I would certainly mention this point, and the 'rounding'. I would have thought most review/appeal panels would have some sympathy!
2. It's worth mentioning the incident relating to one of his best friends.
4. I think it would be worth saying something along the lines "Despite a reference to his maturity in section 7, his birthday is in ...... , and we feel that in some respects he is a late developer. Please contrast his levels in years 2-3 with the accelerated progress he has been making subsequently."

The invigilator's report is covered in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is even a specimen letter you could send the headteacher:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do go through the list of evidence in http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and make sure you haven't overlooked anything.
Etienne
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Good morning!

Etienne, thanks again for the words of wisdom. I have had some sleep, the sky is blue and I feel more positive in a 'what will be, will be' way :)

I think I shall very politely mention to the head that I am concerned at the lack of reference to academic ability in her statement and ask her opinion. Then, I'll leave it at that. I don't think she's being obstructive, it's just that the culture of the school is not geared up for this.

I'll also submit DS's Year 5 school report in which we were told he was performing well above his age in all subjects. We have never been given his levels before (not even discussed at parent's evening) and the lack of their inclusion on the end of year report may give the panel an idea of the type of school he attends.

I shall certainly mention his score to two decimal points (but refrain from expressing my frustration that, had it been rounded up correctly, as they teach their students, he would have passed!).

Likewise, I shall mention the 'incident' and his age/development as you suggest.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

it's just that the culture of the school is not geared up for this.
That's the impression I get from the statement. (I've corrected the section number above.)
I think I shall very politely mention to the head that I am concerned at the lack of reference to academic ability in her statement and ask her opinion.
I think you've touched here on the main weakness in what has been written.

Having slept on this, I think I would toughen my stance, because many panels will look to see whether the head's statement reinforces the recommendation.
If a '2' recommendation means "Very able so recommended without any reservation, academically very able, grammar school appropriate" (which it does), why doesn't a single one of the following words "academic, very able, recommended, without reservation, grammar school" appear in the statement? :roll:
Instead we get irrelevancies such as the last two lines (very worthy qualities, but desirable for any school, and absolutely nothing to do with grammar school entry in particular).

As the name has been spelt wrongly, perhaps the form could be re-done with the correct spelling and more focus on academic potential?
We have never been given his levels before (not even discussed at parent's evening) and the lack of their inclusion on the end of year report may give the panel an idea of the type of school he attends.
Without being too critical, it might be necessary to gently steer the panel's thoughts in that direction .......
Etienne
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

And there goes my new, laid-back attitude :lol:

I shall draft something to her now - half-term is approaching at a very awkward time!
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

So, I emailed Bucks CC to ask for the correct contact to request a copy of the invigilator's report. I just received this reply:

Dear Parent,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are not able to send you a copy of the invigilation report.

If there were any accident during the test we will automatically add it to the Selection Review papers before the paper work goes to the panel.

Regards

I never said I wanted it for a Selection Review.

Nothing's ever simple is it?! :roll:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Never!

Try emailing back with an FoI request?

Or you could write to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Buckinghamshire County Council
County Hall
Walton Street
Aylesbury