Bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

happymoocow

Bucks appeal

Post by happymoocow »

Hello, this is probably the easiest question on the forum :oops: but my dd missed the magic number of 121 by quite a margin despite excellent classroom performance, current mid level 5s, but historic evidence of bombing CATs and now this type of test. If we want to keep the door open to consider an appeal am I safe to assume I don't need to do anything yet other than state our preference for a GS on our admission application form, together with the alternative all-ability school we like? I feel I need time to digest what's happened before possibly passionately pursuing an appeal. Admission application deadline looming so I need to submit my preferences. I understand that if the GS is first preference it will automatically be declined as she didn't pass, and then the next school (which is out of our ed authority) would consider our request - they wouldn't know they are second preference?
Many thanks x
Guest55

Re: Bucks appeal

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome - sorry to hear your news ...

Yes - put your preferred GS first on the CAF and on March it will say 'not qualified' or similar.

Your second choice is then effectively your first choice and, yes, the other school never know a thing.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

happymoocow wrote:If we want to keep the door open to consider an appeal am I safe to assume I don't need to do anything yet other than state our preference for a GS on our admission application form
Not necessarily!

See the advice in E32 (e):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is repeated at the beginning of this thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In practice you may not wish to submit this evidence for an appeal if you don't think it's helpful, but at least you are keeping your options open.

Headteachers have been told that they are under no obligation to provide recommendation information to the Independent Appeal Panel and in this situation none of the standard review information will be made available for parents.

Tell your headteacher you want to keep your options open.
I understand that if the GS is first preference it will automatically be declined as she didn't pass, and then the next school (which is out of our ed authority) would consider our request - they wouldn't know they are second preference?
No - but to be honest it wouldn't matter if they did!
Etienne
happymoocow

Post by happymoocow »

Thank you for the comments. Lots to absorb, easy to get swept along with the wish to get a GS place, unconvinced what to do, such a low score but such excellent achievement in class. Suspect this maybe be attributed to a very hard work ethic as opposed to being naturally highly academic. She'll be fine wherever she goes, of that I am confident, but the grammar is her local school as opposed to one involving a one and a half hours commute each day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now