Advice please - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bluebird45

Advice please - Bucks

Post by Bluebird45 »

Hi

my son sat the Bucks 11+ and scored much lower than expected at 92 rather than the hope for 121. The breakdown was:
Verbal 41.69
Maths 32.08
Non Verbal 18.84
The HT has confirmed he has a 1:1 from them and his end of year report showed Reading Level 5c, Writing 4b, Maths 5c. Based on the expected 2 sublevels progress in a year, he is predicted 5a, 5c and 5a by the end of year 6.
I have been told that as the score is so low, an appeal / review would not be successful. Would you agree with this and consider the 12+ instead?

He was nervous on the day but not excessively so and I can't think of any major incidents such as bereavement in the family. The only thing is me taking on a full time working role and being less available.

Thanks
southbucks3

Re: Advice please - Bucks

Post by southbucks3 »

Unfortunately there is very little chance of a successful outcome with this score, without a clearly defined extenuating circumstance. :? Sorry to be frank.
The 12+ is an option, but for now you need to focus on all the positives that can be found at your preferred local upper school and encourage your ds to push himself, as from what I have heard the uppers can be good, but the bright child does need lots of self motivation.
Wishing your boy all the best.
Bluebird45

Post by Bluebird45 »

Thankyou that's confirmed my thoughts. Just such a shame when all other factors aid he would be suited to a Grammar but unfortunately his score didn't reflect this! Yes will focus on choosing a good upper school for him and just hope he is pushed and doesn't coast. Juniors has been great for him as he has really benefited from having 2 super bright boys in the class who he wants to keep up with. Hope this motivation lasts and will see if we want to consider the 12+ nearer the time.

Thanks
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

My friends daughter was very similar in last years test, scored just under a 100 which did not reflect her leaving Y6 with level 6 maths and Reading. Her daughter was devastated as she was predicted to pass and her low mark just couldn't be explained. She is now at an upper in the tops sets ( at the top of the tops sets) , on the gifted and talented register, and the school are really pushing her, and ultimately she is happy and is benefiting from the confidence of knowing she's at the top. This also encourages me as my daughter didn't pass (got close but not sure if it's enough for a successful review) . I also have another friend who son was exactly the same (at the same school) , he took the 12+ and breezed through and is now in Y8 at JH. This may be an option for you, good luck with your choice of uppers, dolly x
spider

Post by spider »

Several years ago now my daughter did this, although not in Bucks. She was the one in her small primary school who was a definite pass and she failed quite dramatically particularly in maths, at which she was very, very good.
She had the start of a cold on the day and I think this hampered her but what was more interesting was what came out over the following year. There seemed to be low level, but insidious, bullying targeted particularly, but not exclusively, against her. As it was mainly between girls it went un-noticed by an inexperienced male teacher.
So do check carefully that there is nothing going on that you don't know about or that your child is not more distressed than you think by you going back to work.
I found this website, too late, after we had unsuccessfully appealed. The local comp had no idea how to handle her especially her maths which was at level 7 so we encouraged her to take the 12+ and when she passed with the best score they had seen in a number of years we did a further appeal, encouraged by the HT. She is now thriving.
Chocolateandwine

Post by Chocolateandwine »

Hi there Bluebird45 :) I've not posted on here before, but have just signed up as I wanted to let you know (if you don't already) that you should have a look at the individual websites of the grammar schools you might be considering to find out the deadline for 12plus registration - it's sooner than you might think! You really might want to have that as an option and I imagine that the deadline can be easily missed by parents caught up in planning reviews or appeals. Best of luck!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The sign up for 12+ is when you are in Year 7 as you need the results of the KS2 tests i.e. 3 x level 5.