Bucks Review with score of 114- extenuating circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mariposa

Bucks Review with score of 114- extenuating circumstances

Post by mariposa »

Have shamefully lurked for past 4 years since eldest dd successfully took and passed old style 11 plus but this is my first post.

Younger dd has very unexpectedly not qualified with a score of 114(.97). She has very strong support from HT and Year 6 Head who will provide additional statement of support. She was ranked a 2:1.

HT stated gave less than a handful of 1:1 so hoping this is in our favour. Majority of 2:1s apparently passed and she commented that had fewer appeals to handle than previously. Not sure if this good or bad?

Dd achieved straight level 3s at KS1.
SATS for yr 5 were Maths 5b, Reading 5c and Writing 4a.
Predicted yr 6 are Maths 6, Reading 6 and Writing 5b

CAT scores are less consistent:
Year 5 VR123 NVR 130 QUA 116
Year 4 VR 116 NVR 101 QUA 126

Awaiting Spelling and Reading ages.

We do have strong extenuating circumstances (I think) which I will send details of to Appeals box as will easily identify me.

Just really struggling with how on earth to try and explain why dd did not perform as expected - how important is the parents section? Is the HT support the most important thing?

Dd seems fine about whole thing after initial upset and has such a positive attitude. As both teachers and I feel will flourish at grammar (ahead of older dd academically at same age who is absolutely flying in Yr 9), just feel so strongly that need to go to Review as Grammar is right place for dd. Do worry about how our local Upper caters for children in the top sets as have had very mixed feedback.

Have read all the fab advice from the Mods on here in the Appeals section but am receiving conflicting advice from HT. They have suggested removing any reference to academic attainment which I have tried to bullet point as per Mary's letter example as am simply repeating what is in their section. Has instead suggest I concentrate on dd's attitude to work at home and subjective attributes, favourite authors etc. which I know you say to omit.

So confused!

Any help and advice would be welcomed as do not want to let dd down, particularly from bucks parents who have been through the review process.

Feel like I am going somewhat mad and am wading through treacle!

Will send details to Appeals box now.

Thanks
LeprechaunQueen

Re: Bucks Review with score of 114- extenuating circumstance

Post by LeprechaunQueen »

I think the advice on this forum is likely to trump the views of your Head in this case, and our (successful) selection review last year followed the 'Mary' format. The academic case in terms of SATs seems strong. If the Head has put 2:1 in that order they have already given the top grade for attitude to learning. I don't know much about CAT scores - are you obliged to report these if you think they are less pretty? You don't want to be too lengthy... If the extenuating circs are going to take up quite a bit of explanatory text then bullet points just to make sure the panel see the academic stats or any particularly glowing phrases from teachers in the Y5 report would in my (limited) experience be enough.

Good luck, it will be a tough few months, stay strong :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

mariposa wrote:HT stated gave less than a handful of 1:1 so hoping this is in our favour. Majority of 2:1s apparently passed
Sounds promising - but difficult to be sure without a full breakdown.
Dd achieved straight level 3s at KS1.
SATS for yr 5 were Maths 5b, Reading 5c and Writing 4a.
Predicted yr 6 are Maths 6, Reading 6 and Writing 5b
Looks good.
CAT scores are less consistent:
Year 5 VR123 NVR 130 QUA 116
Year 4 VR 116 NVR 101 QUA 126
At least they're heading in the right direction. :)
Just really struggling with how on earth to try and explain why dd did not perform as expected - how important is the parents section? Is the HT support the most important thing?
The evidence is the most important thing- and usually, of course, the HT report is the most significant part of the majority of parents' evidence.
Have read all the fab advice from the Mods on here in the Appeals section but am receiving conflicting advice from HT. They have suggested removing any reference to academic attainment which I have tried to bullet point as per Mary's letter example as am simply repeating what is in their section. Has instead suggest I concentrate on dd's attitude to work at home and subjective attributes, favourite authors etc. which I know you say to omit.
What we actually say in the Q&As is that we don't attach much significance to the parental statement! However, forum members were always asking for guidance, so we came up with Mary's letter.

If you're going to write anything, then we would stand by the format of Mary's letter for want of anything better. (Glad to hear LeprechaunQueen found it useful. :D)

To focus on "dd's attitude to work at home and subjective attributes, favourite authors etc" seems a very curious suggestion by the school. I would love to see the evidence for assertions such as:
    • "Our 10 year old daughter spends all her time at home diligently engaged in academic research" and
      "Her favourite authors are Shakespeare, Proust, Tolstoy, and Aeschylus".
It's not going to work, is it? :roll:

If what really matters is the academic evidence (and it is!), then the parental statement might indeed look a bit repetitive. However, it could (a) serve as a useful summary, (b) provide the opportunity to highlight anything you particularly want to draw attention to, and (c) there might even be academic evidence that is not school-based, for example:
    • • Please see attached summary sheet (appendix 1) where the headteacher says the review has his "wholehearted support".
      • Attached is the Y5 report (appendix 2) where X is described as "very able" and a "quick thinker".
      • An educational psychologist's report is enclosed (appendix 3), which shows verbal comprehension at the 95th percentile, and perceptual reasoning at the 98th percentile ("very superior").
      • Also attached is evidence of grade 4 music (piano). Coping with the theory involved at this level is said to be an indicator of academic ability.
Will send details to Appeals box now.
Not yet received, but thought I'd post the above anyway.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mariposa, and welcome from me too!

We have received your email safely, and I will shortly be sending you a PM (Private Message). Please check your Inbox at the top LH corner of the screen.

Sally-Anne