Statistics for Bucks appeals 2014 regarding schools

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ccl

Statistics for Bucks appeals 2014 regarding schools

Post by ccl »

Is there any statistics on how many children (or percentage) passed their appeals at different Grammars in Bucks?

I remember from last year that RGS was not very genereous while John Hampden let higher percentage through via appeal. Does any one have any numbers of applicants and number passing?

Does anyone have more statistics? For example regarding Burnham, Chesham....

Thanks in advance
Sally-Anne

Re: Statistics for Bucks appeals 2014 regarding schools

Post by Sally-Anne »

I think you are possibly getting confused here.

Non-qualification Reviews are not done on a school by school basis at 11+. A successful outcome qualifies a child for any grammar school in Bucks.

Over-subscription (transfer) appeals are done on a school by school basis. Chesham Grammar definitely didn't have any over-subscription appeals this year because it was eventually "All Offered", and I believe there are around 160 pupils in the year group, compared with a PAN of 180.

I am not aware that Burnham had any appeals either. (Someone may be able to tell you if the school is undersubscribed for Y7.)
ccl

Post by ccl »

Thanks, Sally-Anne for your prompt reply. I might have misunderstood things, so please let me rephrase the question just in case.

I meant the appeals held after the review process is over.

I found in the leaflet:" Should your child not qualify at review, if you wish, you will be able to ask for an independent admission appeal for a place at a particular grammar school after the allocation of school places in March. Admission appeals will be heard from May 2015."

Would these appeal panels consist of staff members from the particular grammar school that someone would appeal to?
What happened last year? What was the percentage of successful appeals at different grammar schools?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ccl wrote:I meant the appeals held after the review process is over. I found in the leaflet:" Should your child not qualify at review, if you wish, you will be able to ask for an independent admission appeal for a place at a particular grammar school after the allocation of school places in March. Admission appeals will be heard from May 2015."
Ah, I see what you are asking now.

Yes, because the Appeals (as opposed to Reviews) are now held following allocation, and some schools will be oversubscribed, they are essentially heard for an individual school. However, if the school is undersubscribed, there is no Group hearing, and the order of business goes straight to the N/Q hearing.
Would these appeal panels consist of staff members from the particular grammar school that someone would appeal to?
Absolutely not! These are Independent Appeal Panels (IAPs), and consist of 3 members of the public. (At least one lay member, and at least one non-lay member.)
What happened last year? What was the percentage of successful appeals at different grammar schools?
We don't have the statistics by school, only the overall rate of success (as at August 2014):

Grammar school (Unqualified after review)
137 cases heard
33 (24%) successful

Grammar school (Unqualified with no review)
39 cases heard
12 (29%) successful
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now