BETHs appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

amfnc

BETHs appeal

Post by amfnc »

Hi all

I'm posting this question on behalf of a family member. My nephew missed Bexley by 2 marks. He passed Kent.

The parents have spoken to his teacher and HT, they both agree that he's "grammar school material" all the usual blurb ... he's not an amazing academic but a "bright" boy. He's always had his heart set on BETHs, lives 10 min walk from the school. His HT has put an appeal in, but she said he won't get it as the "appeal system" in Bexley is virtually non-existent. She did say that by putting a HT appeal in, it would hold weighting should the parents want to put a parent appeal directly in to BETHs.

How successful are there sort if appeals? his parents are considering submitting an appeal based on the fact that he's been deemed selective by another borough/only missed by 2 marks (equating to 1 question) and that the child wants to attend his local secondary school (which BETHs is)?

also does anyone know when Bexley hear their HT appeals?

any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
Etienne

Re: BETHs appeal

Post by Etienne »

This recent thread failed to shed much light on reviews in Bexley:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=39731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
BexleyKent

Post by BexleyKent »

Hi,

I am in the same situation as your relative. The deadline for Bexley HT review is this Friday, the 14th Nov. Once the form is submitted, they will let us know the review outcome in December.

As for Beth's previous appeals, number heard/number allowed are 23/01 in 2014, 6/01 in 2013 and 19/0 in 2012.

I was advised not to use the passing other 11+ test as the ground for appeals. Mainly use the child's school reports to prove that he/she is of grammar school material. For Bexley, they need to be at level 5 at the time they take the test.

Good luck :-)
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Thanks BexleyKent, very helpful. Although from what I've been told, I would be shocked if any reviews are granted in December.

I'll speak to my brother - I suspect his son's chances are very slim, mainly because appeal successes are so rare ... My nephew was levels 5c (top end/borderline 5b, I'm told) across the board end of year 5, and I understand expected end Y6 grades are 5a's across the board with a possibility of achieving a 6c in maths. As I mentioned, he's bright but not T&G, was never going to be top 180 or anything.

All that being said, I don't suppose they've got anything to lose by putting an appeal in as it won't jeopodise his place at a Kent grammar, should he get one.

Are you also appealling to Beths?

Good luck with everything.
BexleyKent

Post by BexleyKent »

Hello Amfnc,

You are absolutely right. There's nothing to lose but a lot to gain. The lady luck may be with us this year. Who knows :D.

I am appealing for Bexley Grammar or Townley.

Good luck to us both.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now