Advice please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

HP & Jan

That is just what I was going to suggest HP! (Perhaps I'm not superwoman after all?) :)

Jan, I really understand you are exhausted by all of this - I couldn't eat more than half my Christmas lunch because I was so worried and preoccupied with our appeal, and it was many weeks away at that point.

Take time out at the weekend, do something you enjoy, be with your son. When the problem comes to mind, write down what is worrying you, forget it and then come back to the notes on Monday. (That's advice that I wish I'd heeded myself in the last few months!)

This website is a not a "flash in the pan" - it has a support base of very many people who have been through everything you are having to endure.

All the marvellous experts who share their advice here will still be here on Monday, and many of us will look out for your posts. Post a message for Mike E on Wirral, if you haven't done so already, then switch off the computer and relax for a day or two.

You can always PM me if I am wrong about any of this!

Sally-Anne
Jan

Appeal please

Post by Jan »

Hi,

To be honest our school is hopless - it is in special measures for poor management! I have not been shown this document, at the time I asked the headteacher if my son could have extra time he said he asked the LEA and they said no, so I contacted them and they wrote back and stated that he would have to sit it like everyone else and we would have to appeal afterwards, but by all accounts they fail every child who has a dissability and just misses the cut of mark.

Can anyone recomend a lawyer who deals in educational / human rights issues.
Jan

Post by Guest »

Hi Sally Anne, Of course i dont mind you asking. My son acheived 3 level 5's at the end of year 5. His 11+ scores were 112 and 117, there was no suitability ranking on the headteachers form(presumably because there were about 90 children in my sons year sitting the exam but he has been in top set throughout his time at the school) and he had a head teachers ranking of 1:2. I think i read somewhere that the '1' in the headteachers ranking should reflect a score of between 131-141 but im not 100% sure. He just didn't cope with the pressure on the day as im sure a lot of 10 and 11 year old CHILDREN dont and the LEA's seem to forget that they are just children. Did you have a tough time at your appeal, what area are you in?I only found this forum about a month ago and have read so many moving stories - are you the lady that was going to 'burn' her letter? Im sure your child will excel where ever he ends up. Are you thinking of the 12+

Susie

Post by Guest »

Jan I dont know a lawyer im afraid but your son was so close (or maybe just born in the wrong month with standardised scoring!) that its still worth persuing. I wish you all the luck in the world and will keep a look out for your posts. Try to enjoy your weekend.

Susie
HP

Post by HP »

Jan,

My link is the wrong one and doesn't work!! Sorry, I'm being an idiot :oops:

Have it on my Internet Favourites, but the direct web link might not work.

Its title:

Guidelines on arrangements for Pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

Go to www.nfer.ac.uk/
Use Search facility on Nfer site and type in 11+
4th option is Testing and Assessment select more.
Article is listed on next page.

If you can't find I can cut and paste the information onto the forum.

Also, can definitely point you in the right direction for legal help, if all else fails :) ,although we will need to liaise separately on this I suspect.

HP

Post by Guest »

This is why the whole eleven plus system stinks.

I am in wirral jan Fortunately my child scored 277, and 272 in the Upton exam, and was given a place there ( our first choice, but we are not catholic so thought she wouldn't get in)

she got level 5s at the end of last year also, and it annoys me that such a stupid system is in place. Grammar school places should be awarded to children achieving level 5s in schools. Plenty of kids will have passed the 11 plus who got 4s last year, maybe even 3s, purely because they have been tutored. It isnt right.
Which school has he been given?

Have you thought about asking if he go to St Anselms?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Susie

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, and yes, I burned the letter whilst thinking everyone on this forum and muttering a few carefully chosen words about the LEA! Very cathartic, I must say. :D

My husband came home, saw the reply form and asked to see the letter. He gave me a very odd look when I told him where it was. I like to think that it contributes to the mystery of women when I do things like that!

Our son was 113 and 117, suitability 2:2. I think what finished us was the Head's ranking, which wasn't brilliant. I sense that the Head did regret that afterwards, but they can't be expected to know the detailed ability of every child I suppose.

The appeal was pretty horrid - I had the graveyard slot before lunch, and I think the panel were hungry and tired. Their body language was ghastly throughout, and they asked some very humdrum questions.

Still, it's history for us, the 12+ awaits and I do hope he passes, because I wouldn't have the strength to appeal the 12+ as well! Our son is very bright, but verbal reasoning just isn't easy for him. In any other county he would have passed the 11+ by a huge margin, because his strengths would have come through in the other papers. However, Bucks is wedded to VR as the only test, and we have to live with that. There are much worse things in life.

Susie, if you remember and have time when the next Bucks results come out in December, try to visit the forum to post your experience of the appeal. I know a success story like yours will boost a great many people.

Sally-Anne
Jan

appeal please

Post by Jan »

Hi Hp,

You mentioned that you had a contact for a lawyer who could help us, we are going to go ahead with appeal and need some help on the legal asspect of the discrimination/ human rights issues.

if you would'nt mind emailing me on ****@****

much appreciated

Jan
[Forum Admin: Email removed after user's request]
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Jan,

Info forwarded to you on your link.

GOOD LUCK :)

Let me know how you get on, and don't hesitate to come back for more info if needed.

HP
jan

appeal please

Post by jan »

Hi hp,

This situation goes from bad to worse, have found out that the head teacher when writing the appeal put in his year 5 Sat's that where taken when they had a substitute teacher who did not know our son was meant to have extra time, so they looked poor in comparison to his year 6 practise sats year 5 3b's no extra time ,year 6 4a's in English, 5's in maths and science with extra time allowed, also have found out that a boy who was sitting next to our son had a hiccuping fit and had to be removed from room and the head did not tell the appeal board this.
Really feel like giving up this kid does not stand a chance.
Jan.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now