Selection Review/Appeal (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
able2

Selection Review/Appeal (Bucks)

Post by able2 »

My dd was unsuccessful in the selection review STT 117.
The selection review panel's view was that three level 5's in reading, writing and maths can be achieved in the KS2 SATS (this was ticked), however academic evidence does not demonstrate academic suitability for the pupil to be placed in a grammar school(this box was ticked) and therefore the pupil would not be appropriately placed in a grammar school.

I am confused with this.
Guest55

Re: Selection Review Bucks

Post by Guest55 »

There are lots of children with three level 5s in Upper schools.

What other evidence did you have?
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

able2 wrote:My dd was unsuccessful in the selection review STT 117.
The selection review panel's view was that three level 5's in reading, writing and maths can be achieved in the KS2 SATS (this was ticked), however academic evidence does not demonstrate academic suitability for the pupil to be placed in a grammar school(this box was ticked) and therefore the pupil would not be appropriately placed in a grammar school.

I am confused with this.
We had exactly the same!! On both counts.

What other academic evidence did you supply? I have come to the conclusion that a Y5 set of CATs which read like this:

Cognitive Ability Tests (CAT3) January 2014 Year 5
Verbal Reasoning Standard Age Score 119
Quantitative Standard Age Score 117
Non Verbal Standard Age Score 131
Mean Standard Age Score 122

Are what did for us. They like to see high 120's is the rumour? Although this would be top few% of the country!
We had a glowing heads report, and a 1:2 recc.

Are you going to appeal?
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Booklady wrote:
able2 wrote:My dd was unsuccessful in the selection review STT 117.

I am confused with this.
We had exactly the same!! On both counts.

What other academic evidence did you supply? I have come to the conclusion that a Y5 set of CATs which read like this:

Cognitive Ability Tests (CAT3) January 2014 Year 5
Verbal Reasoning Standard Age Score 119
Quantitative Standard Age Score 117
Non Verbal Standard Age Score 131
Mean Standard Age Score 122

Are what did for us. They like to see high 120's is the rumour? Although this would be top few% of the country!
We had a glowing heads report, and a 1:2 recc.

Are you going to appeal?
I'd like to know what academic levels the review panel are expecting. Buck CC claim that their grammars are for the top 30% academically able children - trying to locate that information, I've seen it but can't remember where :evil:
Heartmum x x x
able2

Post by able2 »

Cognitive Ability Tests May 2014 Year 5
Verbal Reasoning Standard Age Score 117
Quantitative Standard Age Score 126
Non Verbal Standard Age Score 120
Mean Standard Age Score 120

I would have thought the academic evidence was suitable.
Just weighing up whether to appeal or not
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

heartmum wrote:
I'd like to know what academic levels the review panel are expecting. Buck CC claim that their grammars are for the top 30% academically able children - trying to locate that information, I've seen it but can't remember where :evil:[/quote]

I think the trouble is, heartmum, that Bucks kids are higher academically than the average. Our average is higher than the country average in other words. At least that's what I was told when I pointed out to our head that our 122 average was stanine 8 - top 11% nationally!

Perhaps Sally-Anne or Etienne can confirm?
So top 30% here would be top 15% elsewhere maybe?
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

able2 wrote:Cognitive Ability Tests May 2014 Year 5
Verbal Reasoning Standard Age Score 117
Quantitative Standard Age Score 126
Non Verbal Standard Age Score 120
Mean Standard Age Score 120

I would have thought the academic evidence was suitable.
Just weighing up whether to appeal or not
Your case is sooo similar to ours! Our mean was 122. I really think its these that have caused the issue.

I have asked our head to repeat the CATs which he has agreed to do - then we will see whats what. :roll: :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Perhaps Sally-Anne or Etienne can confirm?
Yes. The top 30% in Bucks does not equate with the top 30% nationally.
heartmum wrote:I'd like to know what academic levels the review panel are expecting.
Now that's the sort of point to raise in relation to FCO!

It was brought up at one of the group hearings last year, and there was no clear answer:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 57#p441657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
..... one of the grammar school heads has helpfully tried to explain the objective criteria used in the review process. The gist of the conversation was follows:
Question: "What objective criteria were used?"
Response: "There is no tick list. It's a 'weighing up' of the evidence."
Question: "Isn't that subjective then?"
Response: "The information needed is clear."
Question: "Yes, the form specifies what school results should be given, but it does not set out what thresholds are required?"
Response: "There is no tick list or list of criteria but a 'weighing up' of the information provided which is different in each case."
Question: "So it's a subjective judgement?"
:roll:
Etienne
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I think someone on here mentioned that end of Y5 grades were important to the panel , the needed to be 5's or close to a level 5 in one or two areas, which would predict high level 5's in their Y6 stats. what were your end of year 5 levels like? I'm not sure if this helps , I'm sorry your going through another difficult time. Dollyxxxx
able2

Bucks Appeal

Post by able2 »

I have decided to go for an appeal after an unsuccessful selection review for my DD. Forms have been submitted and further evidence to follow.
One question I have is should I provide another letter from the Headteacher, or should I just stick to the support provided within the selection review paperwork which indicates that DD would be suitable for GS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now