BERKS Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bow

Post by bow »

thanks chad- the headteacher wrote to me saying that whilst he could not be seen to be recommending some children and therefore not others- he has already sent direct to the grammar school details of her cat scores, aptitude tests etc ! we also had mid term school report at the beginning of Feb which is obviously confirmation from her teachers of her ability. Big question of course is whether that is enough.... I hadn't really thought about Charters...
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

All I know is that the appeals are held separately for St Bernard's and Langley/Herschel/Slough.
I have a friend whose appeal for Langley/Herschel/Slough was yesterday; The questions she was asked were very much along the line of Etienne's views: about the child academic ability and the reasons why the exam performance wasn't as good as it should have been. Nothing about the child hobbies.

Best of luck
bow

Post by bow »

Thanks Catherine
I also saw your link on another thread to the parents appeal advice on Herschel's website. Very useful- I guess its logical that St. Bernards will follow a similar format. Do you have any idea what questions are worth asking the LEA at the appeal? -

I suppose my main priority is to focus on why I feel she underperformed and proving that she has the academic ability as you & Etienne emphasised. The challenge I will have is that because she may be considered borderline it may be difficult to prove that had she not been dealing with family illness that she definitely would have passed!
I suppose- that is exactly what the panel are there to decide!!!
In your opinion you don't think they take any other factors into consideration in selection appeals- ie. pastoral care, denominational grounds etc?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Bow, don't be misled into thinking that I have a great knowledge of appeals! The only thing I know is what I have read on this forum and some feedback from my friend's appeal.
As far as I understand, the questions about pastoral care, denominational grounds etc.. are more relevent to transfer appeal, but Etienne would be much more qualified to answer this. In addition, I do not know St Bernard's specific policy at all.

During her appeal, my friend was asked first to talk about her case, then she was asked questions: in what way the child's personal situation has affected her on the exam day, and if it had affected her school work and how; She was also asked to expand on the child academic achievements. The more evidence the better. You can also show recent school books.

I am sorry not to be of more help. May be someone else has some more information?
bow

Post by bow »

Its OK- I realise you were not holding yourself up as an 'authority' on this subject.. just interested and grateful for your opinion. There is quite a reluctance to discuss this with other parents openly which is weird & I guess why this forum is a good place to 'think' out loud :!:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It can be quite frustrating when the school does not cooperate and parents don't want to talk, so yes, this forum is a very good place share concerns and seek advice.
You mentioned that your daughter can be considered borderline, Bow. Do you mean in academic terms or for the 11+ exam? If your daughter is predicted at least 2 SATs level 5, she certainly could be considered as above average.
Do you think that your family problems have affected her academic achievements as well as her 11+ results?
bow

Post by bow »

I mean borderline in terms of 11+. I wouldn't even think of appealing if I didn't know she is well above average- she's predicted Level 5's in all 3 sats, but particularly in Literacy/reading. Its possible that the family problems have affected her longer term achievements - but I think that would be even more impossible to prove! She's well motivated, conscientious and her teachers speak very highly of her- I just feel that to be successful in an appeal you probably have to prove that the child is almost a genius... when in fact of course there will be lots of other children of similar ability who managed to pass( & loads like my daughter who didn't!) . I suppose that's what I want to get across to the panel - I'm not trying to make out that she's Einstein, but believe she's got the ability/potential but was adversely affected at the time of the exam. It would probably help if I knew what info her current school sent about her...
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I am very surprised that your daughter's school hasn't told you what they sent. How can you present your case if you don't know all the elements?
Wouldn't it be possible to ask them? It seems unthinkable that they can withhold this type of information from parents!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My first visit to Berkshire ......! :D

Catherine's right - you should ask for a copy, explaining that you need time to prepare your case properly, based on the evidence that will be available.

If they're reluctant, and possibly claim that it's "confidential", point out that you're going to get to see it anyway, because panel, parents and admissions authority must all receive identical copies of all the paperwork that's been submitted (a week or two before the hearing).

If they still won't co-operate, ask them to put their reasons in writing, perhaps hinting that it could become a matter for the ombudsman!

(In fact, I don't think there would be grounds for complaint, so long as you get to see the papers no later than 6 days before the hearing.)

There's no way a panel should take account of a report which you haven't had sight of.
Etienne
bow

Post by bow »

Welcome to the mysterious world of Berkshire, Etienne!
Spurred on by you & Catherine I have today sent a note to the Headteacher asking for copies of the reports..... I await the reply with interest. Its strange that I feel somehow that I'm going cap in hand asking for their help... & yet its information about my daughter after all!
I would just like to echo all the other comments expressed by others about how helpful your insight into the appeals procedure is.... Whether our appeal is successful or not I feel at least that I understand where the panel are coming from in their decision making process.
I have written the basic outline to our appeal ( still tweaking bits here & there) - there are no forms to complete for Berkshire- at least not for St. Bernard's & was thinking of sending a copy in advance with the documentary evidence. I'd be interested to know if you think that a good idea?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now