Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:22 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:29 pm 
Hello all.

I'm in Maidstone.

My child's results were 138:126:113. We have been told that a result of 119:119:114 would have meant automatic acceptance into a Grammar School.

The Head Teacher appealed on our behalf but was turned down flat.

I appreciate that this is a delicate subject, but I have been hearing persistent rumours that Head teachers appeals have been accepted this year from children with scores considerably lower than this. Can anyone confirm those stories


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:15 am 
Armand T. wrote:
Hello all.

I'm in Maidstone.

My child's results were 138:126:113. We have been told that a result of 119:119:114 would have meant automatic acceptance into a Grammar School.

The Head Teacher appealed on our behalf but was turned down flat.

I appreciate that this is a delicate subject, but I have been hearing persistent rumours that Head teachers appeals have been accepted this year from children with scores considerably lower than this. Can anyone confirm those stories


We had similar marks - two in the high 130s and one just below 114, our headmaster appealed and we were turned down - he was surprised - we are also in Kent. I have spoken to local grammar school and they have a massive waiting list and expect to be fighting appeals left right and centre


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:19 am 
Sorry to hear your news. What paper was the 113 score in? My daughter scored 138 (verbal) 133 (non verbal) and 113 (maths) and got in on Headteacher's appeal. We were not aiming for one of the "high" attaining grammars. The school also submitted some work that my daughter had done at home a couple of months before (a project on a subject that really interested her). I was told that the reason the appeal was successful was the high scores in the verbal and non verbal and the good quality of the work submitted. If I were you I would get your child to do some work at home to produce at an appeal - apparently last year's SATs results are also helpful - mid to high 4s or 5s. My daughter's SATs results last year were 5C (English comprehension) 4B (writing) and 4C (maths).
All the very best of luck. Another point - when is your child's birthday?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:56 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Sorry to hear your news. What paper was the 113 score in? My daughter scored 138 (verbal) 133 (non verbal) and 113 (maths) and got in on Headteacher's appeal. We were not aiming for one of the "high" attaining grammars. The school also submitted some work that my daughter had done at home a couple of months before (a project on a subject that really interested her). I was told that the reason the appeal was successful was the high scores in the verbal and non verbal and the good quality of the work submitted. If I were you I would get your child to do some work at home to produce at an appeal - apparently last year's SATs results are also helpful - mid to high 4s or 5s. My daughter's SATs results last year were 5C (English comprehension) 4B (writing) and 4C (maths).
All the very best of luck. Another point - when is your child's birthday?


The 113 was in Maths. The crux of my appeal is that the school is not one that prepares for, or encourages for 11+. In fact 43% of my child's classmates have Special Educational Needs. My argument is that in a less challenging learning environment, the scores would have been a lot better. With the best will in the world, the teachers have more pressing issues than helping five kids out of thirty to pass the 11+ when almost half can barely read.

Age did also count against us. It probably lost us a mark or two when the scores were adjusted.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:38 pm 
Apparently the maths paper this year was one of the most difficult ever. Your child's higher scores are in IQ type papers showing him/her to be well above average intelligence and easily of a grammar school standard. He/she falls down (but only slightly - 1 mark for heaven's sake) on the maths. If I were you I would base your appeal very strongly on the fact that the school did not teach your child to the required maths standard and pitched their lessons more for the 43% of the class who are special needs. Probably lots of what was on the paper your child had never been taught in school.

I do wish you all the best - keep us informed.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:13 pm 
"Probably lots of what was on the paper your child had never been taught in school. "

You're not wrong there! When I bought a pack of test papers I was horrified. The school had barely got to grips with multiplication. I had to teach practically the entire maths sylabus during the christmas holidays. Considering that she had no real concept of mathematics beyond basic arithmetic I think the result was jolly good.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:25 pm 
Your daughter cannot be expected to score highly on a subject that she hasn't been taught sufficiently at school. Parental help at home does not count - you are not a trained teacher after all and there are only so many hours in a day after school that a child can be expected to sit and study. At our school the 11+ candidates are put into a separate maths class from the beginning of year 6 and everything that may come up on the 11+ maths paper is covered. We also had 13 out of 30 sitting the exam. Only 3 didn't pass.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:52 pm 
Hi Armans
My son got 138:129:126. We live 3.4 miles from our local grammer in Kent but we have been sent to a Maidstone Grammer school. Its impossible for us to send him that far so we will be giveing up that place, have heart and try for appeal.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:53 pm 
Hi Armans
My son got 138:129:126. We live 3.4 miles from our local grammer in Kent but we have been sent to a Maidstone Grammer school. Its impossible for us to send him that far so we will be giveing up that place, have heart and try for appeal.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:41 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
At our school the 11+ candidates are put into a separate maths class from the beginning of year 6 and everything that may come up on the 11+ maths paper is covered. We also had 13 out of 30 sitting the exam. Only 3 didn't pass.


Could I ask what school that is?


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016