Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: alibun's appeal
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:31 pm 

Hi, I am in a very similar position to Eddas. Firstly I wish I'd read this forum more carefully before submitting my school preferences. Will I be penalised at appeal panels for placing the Grammar schools 3rd and 4th place?

Additionally my appeals are for non qualification, however I am aware that there are only a limited number of places and the number of appeals far greater. Does anyone know if the apppeals panel only selects enough deemed suitable for Grammar as there are places or if there are more deemed suitable for Grammar then places do they then follow their admissions policy ie local authority care, sibling, distance from school?

Finally, if someone appeals two school and gets offered a place in both what happens to the place they then turn down?

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to answer my questions.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:53 pm 

Firstly, i'm not an expert but from advice on here and my research.......

Quote:
Hi, I am in a very similar position to Eddas. Firstly I wish I'd read this forum more carefully before submitting my school preferences. Will I be penalised at appeal panels for placing the Grammar schools 3rd and 4th place?

As far as I know the panel won't know which order you put the schools in

Quote:
Additionally my appeals are for non qualification, however I am aware that there are only a limited number of places and the number of appeals far greater. Does anyone know if the apppeals panel only selects enough deemed suitable for Grammar as there are places or if there are more deemed suitable for Grammar then places do they then follow their admissions policy ie local authority care, sibling, distance from school?

Appeals for non-qualification can be successful, so I guess it depends how many appellants have a Kent Test pass, for one of the schools I am appealing for i'm guessing there will be none or few that have passed the Kent Test at the appeals as they are undersubscribed. But I am happy to be told i'm wrong by those more qualified, this is just my opinion!

Quote:
Finally, if someone appeals two school and gets offered a place in both what happens to the place they then turn down?

My understanding is that appeals places are outside of the offers from waiting lists etc so those places are not offered on if they are turned down.

Good luck Alibun, there's lots of help on here and on my thread if you have a read through, I've asked a lot of questions :D

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:58 pm 

Any places given due to an upheld appeal that are not taken up are not re-offered.

Post subject: Re: alibun's appeal
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:04 pm 

Welcome! :D

Do read the Q&As:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35032

alibun wrote:
Probably not - if you explain apologetically that you didn't know what you were doing! :)

Quote:
Does anyone know if the apppeals panel only selects enough deemed suitable for Grammar as there are places ...... ?
They shouldn't! There is a procedure to be followed if the school is oversubscribed with children who've qualified via the 11+ or who are judged to be qualified by an appeal panel:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:04 pm 

Eddas wrote:
As far as I know the panel won't know which order you put the schools in
Even if they don't know, they might ask you.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a21

Post subject: CAT Scores
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:59 pm 

Is anyone able to tell me what a CAT score of 99 (SAS) equates to in an equivalent SAT level

Post subject: Re: CAT Scores
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:10 pm 

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products ... at4-levels

Which test was it?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:27 pm 

Guest55

It was a CAT 4 (GL assessment), my dd sat it in May of year 5 the score was for Quantative and her age was 10 & 4 months at the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:35 pm 

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/sites/gl ... eports.pdf

This is a sample report - the school should give you results.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:50 pm 

Guest55

The school have given me the report, however I have issues (along with Ofsted) as to their assessment of SAT levels, as this was an external test, I wondered if the score correlated to a SAT level so I could compare.