Buckinghamshire Appeal ? - 2015

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Buckinghamshire Appeal ? - 2015

Post by Sally-Anne »

PrincessPrabz wrote:- Would you suggest going straight to an appeal (keeping in mind the school are not very supportive so I will be on my own, requesting files etc). At the moment I don't feel too comfortable with the review, due to the negative HT form but down the line am not convinced I would receive support for appeal either.
Which is your preferred school? Forgive me if you have told us this elsewhere, but it does have a bearing on the decision.
PrincessPrabz

Post by PrincessPrabz »

Sally-Anne wrote:
PrincessPrabz wrote:- Would you suggest going straight to an appeal (keeping in mind the school are not very supportive so I will be on my own, requesting files etc). At the moment I don't feel too comfortable with the review, due to the negative HT form but down the line am not convinced I would receive support for appeal either.
Which is your preferred school? Forgive me if you have told us this elsewhere, but it does have a bearing on the decision.
Burnham is our preferred school :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

OK, just checking that it wasn't an unrealistic expectation, such as Dr Challoners, where the chances of a place turning up in the summer term (after an Appeal) are nearly zero.

No guarantees regarding Burnham, but it is more of a possibility, so the option of an Appeal remains.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It sounds as if you haven't got enough academic evidence for a review at the moment?
Have you considered getting an educational psychologist's report in time for an appeal? (Expensive, I know.)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Are my special circumstances valid?
For a score of 120 - I think so!
- Are the lvls good enough, will waiting out a bit of YR6 for this new level issues to become clearer (hopefully near appeal stage)
You have circumstances which might have depressed Y5/6 levels, so I think it might depend on Y2-Y4 levels.
Etienne
PrincessPrabz

Post by PrincessPrabz »

Hi Etienne,

I was thinking of a slightly different approach to review I have followed on to my email to the confidential appeals box with some further details (sorry about this)

I would definitely consider the educational psychologists report despite the expense so thank you for the link
Last edited by PrincessPrabz on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

PrincessPrabz it seems so unfair. With a score of 120 the odds should be stacked in your favour for review. I do hope you can sort something out.

One of the big issues I have with the review system is the 21 days to get it all together. It's frustrating because with half term in the middle it really only gives you 10 school days to gather information and because you can't attend the meeting that information gathering is essential.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There are no easy answers, I'm afraid.

We know that you have an 86% chance of success at review (based on last year's figures), but the headteacher recommendation for academic potential plus the SATs levels (from Y2 onwards) might put you in the other 14%.

You have evidence showing why performance in the curriculum could have been affected in Y5/6, but a review panel will note that Y2 levels were only slightly above average. At the risk of 'piling on' the extenuating circumstances, premature birth is worth a mention, but you ought to include some concise evidence of research into the impact. (We provide a newspaper article in Section B of the Q&As, which would be better than nothing.)
If unsuccessful would I be able to argue it was FCO?
You could try the generic arguments we suggest in the Bucks 'sticky' - but you have no specific grounds yet.

You have evidence of a "fantastic attitude", but, for both a review or an appeal, remember that it's ability that really counts, not attitude.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now