Wilson's appeal - is it worth it?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shaysmum

Wilson's appeal - is it worth it?

Post by shaysmum »

Just looking for some advice please!

My son passed both Wally Boy's & Sutton, however both he & another boy from the same school, failed by exactly 40 marks below the pass mark for Wilson's.

I find it hard to believe that 2 of the top boy's in their year group failed by so much, that would imply they missed huge chunks in the paper?! (both finished the paper's)

Their headmistress was extremely shocked with the results & said would support us both for an appeal, especially as Wilson's don't operate a remark/rescript paper, she will provide strong academic evidence to support both boys.

Both boy's are high achieving & have high standardised scores in the gifted & talented area from tests done by the school before the 11+.

Both of the boy's sister's are at local grammar's as well if that helps!.

My question is, is this a strong enough ground for appeal?. We are just trying to get the papers back or remarked,but they don't offer this service, hence the only option available to us is appeal?.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks x
Etienne

Re: Wilson's appeal - is it worth it?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
is this a strong enough ground for appeal?
Alternative academic evidence is grounds for an appeal, but you will also need reasons for wanting a place at the school.

Have you read all the Q&As? They deal with most aspects of appeals (academic evidence, chances of success, reasons for wanting a place, etc., etc.).

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I have been through an appeal in a different area which is also operates a consortium test where you can share results with a number of schools and there seem to be some schools where appeals can succeed and there are others where they rarely do -ever.
I think Wilson's is part of the Surrey SET consortium? I am guessing there might be a sort of pecking order of schools which mean some schools have higher demand for places than others so you get this thing where a child is qualifies well for some schools and not for others. Those schools at the top of the pecking order tend to be more difficult to win an appeal and the further you are away from the cut off the harder it will be to argue why your ds should get a place so I would imagine the chances of getting through the the non qualification as well as over subscription would be pretty difficult. I phoned the school I was interested in appealing to and they were quite willing to give me the information I wanted and got the impression that that the school was quite positive that it was worth trying- other schools definitely made me think I would not bother. I was also given advice that there were more than 50 boys with a higher rank than my ds and he was only 3 marks from the cut off.
Maybe someone more local will know more about the history of appeals for that school and it is worth finding out the facts and then you can know if it is worth the stress .....
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

It's not quite the same system for the Sutton schools. All girls and boys sit the same SET test initially.
The two girls schools then sit their own part two ( although now they are in a MAT at a recent MAT meeting we were told the plan for next year will be one second stage test possibly with different pass marks for the two schools).
Of the three boys schools Wallington uses the SET mark only. The other two,Sutton Grammar and Wilson's have seperate different second stage tests.
I don't think loads of boys pass all three but I could be wrong. We know plenty who have only passed one and done well enough it that test to get a place.
I think in Zeinabs case her son had passed but didn't get a place but that's the only successful appeal I've come across on here.
I think DC17C's suggestion to ring the school and ask their opinion is a good one. They may tell you how many boys are between your son and the pass mark. I guess if it's a lot that makes success less likely.
It's so tricky. You may well regret it if you don't try but on the other hand it's quite a stressful process. I don't think there are all that many who pass two schools and end up without a place so fingers crossed for those. I never hear a bad word said about either of them.
Good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now