Never Give Up

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mattsurf

Re: Never Give Up

Post by mattsurf »

Sally-Anne wrote:Congratulations, mattsurf! You really did take the system on here, and I am glad that you finally got justice for your daughter.
It may seem strange to some people, but that really became the point. I have no problem with the appeal system, however, it is not consistent.

We didn't really take on the system, just had to use all avenues that the system allows, and not take no for an answer, to get the right decision.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Congratulations on persevering. It must have been a stressful experience so glad to hear you got justice for your DD in the end.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

mattsurf wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:Congratulations, mattsurf! You really did take the system on here, and I am glad that you finally got justice for your daughter.
It may seem strange to some people, but that really became the point. I have no problem with the appeal system, however, it is not consistent.

Congratulations - I am delighted for you.

In regards to the inconsistency af the appeal system. I wrote to the appeals team after my one successful and one unsuccessful appeal on precisely that subject. Can I suggest that you do the same. If enough people make comment then the inconsistencies are more likely to be looked into and the system changed.

I hope your child settles in well. My experience of a late start has been a good one. I hope yours is too.
Rags

Post by Rags »

Good job.

The appeals panel are just people, and sometimes they make mistakes (no matter how they might argue and assume otherwise.)

Very happy for you.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

Many congrats mattsurf! Great news. Really pleased for you and your DC. What a fab outcome, of what must seem a very long journey!!
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Hi Mattsurf - well done! Could I ask if you know whether it is mandatory for the school to release the invigilators log? We're appealing to a Gloucester Grammar.

I asked the school for the log but was told it would be brought in on the appeal day. I'm unsure how much detail we're allowed to put in the forum, but something happened in the exam room which I think means that the admissions procedure wasn't followed and therefore that is maladministration and a place should be given?

I do realise I need to prove academic ability and any mitigating circumstances too.
If you have any thoughts from your experience I would love to hear.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

theseneschal wrote:Hi Mattsurf - well done! Could I ask if you know whether it is mandatory for the school to release the invigilators log? We're appealing to a Gloucester Grammar.

I asked the school for the log but was told it would be brought in on the appeal day. I'm unsure how much detail we're allowed to put in the forum, but something happened in the exam room which I think means that the admissions procedure wasn't followed and therefore that is maladministration and a place should be given?

I do realise I need to prove academic ability and any mitigating circumstances too.
If you have any thoughts from your experience I would love to hear.
I have sent you a PM
Olliesmum

Post by Olliesmum »

Congratulations to your dd mattsurf!
I have sent you an email regarding those HT letters. :)
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

Your point about new evidence is very valid. However, the panel can ask questions at any time - and that can lead indirectly to new evidence. The school would be at fault if they refused to answer a question, on the basis that it was not in their statement. I would also add that there is nothing in the code that stops a panel from being the same year on year. In the 2008 code, it certain did contain a section on the need for panels to be changed at intervals. Well done.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now