Bucks - 108/118 out of area appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

Thanks all, particularly Maria; gives us some hope!
:D
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

Hello again Ladies

Starting to pull the appeal together and I have some more questions:

- Our Head has been very supportive and has already completed the form. She's filled in the 'original assessment' section with a 1 & 2, which is great, but will this count for anything, given that she didn't (couldn't, given that we're not in Bucks) do it in advance of the tests?

- For this reason she hasn't filled in the order of suitability, as only a handful took the test. and it would be pretty irrelevant at this stage. Do you agree?

- Could/Should we include the results of the Y5 optional SATs in the 'other standardised tests' section? Or should this be mentioned elsewhere (he got 5C and 4A in English & Maths, no Science), e.g by attaching his report?

- Speaking of his Y5 report, it's generally glowing, but there is one comment that could be taken as being in favour of our case, or against it: "He can lose marks in test situations through not checking his work thoroughly and making silly errors. Eliminating these alone would move him up to the next level (i.e. 5)." Should we highlight this as a reason he didn't quite pass, or not mention it (even not show the report)?

- The form has a smallish box for you to put 'grounds for appealing'. Should we just put 'Please see attached letter', or attempt to summarise the case in this box?

- We are going to ask his Y6 teacher to write a supporting letter. What sort of stuff would be helpful in such a letter?

Sorry for long post - more questions occurred as I wrote, but any suggestions gratefully received! I'm now registered so you can PM me or reply up here.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

hertsdad wrote:Hello again Ladies
Hello again, hertsdad. I'll give my immediate reactions in red. No symbolism intended!
Starting to pull the appeal together and I have some more questions:

- Our Head has been very supportive and has already completed the form. She's filled in the 'original assessment' section with a 1 & 2, which is great, but will this count for anything, given that she didn't (couldn't, given that we're not in Bucks) do it in advance of the tests?
Coming after the event, the mismatch between a "1" prediction (131+) and the actual scores could seem even more striking ...... It probably won't do any harm. The panel may well shrug their shoulders and think "It's an out-county head who doesn't quite understand the standard required."

- For this reason she hasn't filled in the order of suitability, as only a handful took the test. and it would be pretty irrelevant at this stage. Do you agree? Agreed!

- Could/Should we include the results of the Y5 optional SATs in the 'other standardised tests' section? Or should this be mentioned elsewhere (he got 5C and 4A in English & Maths, no Science), e.g by attaching his report? If the head hasn't included them, I suggest attaching the report.

- Speaking of his Y5 report, it's generally glowing, but there is one comment that could be taken as being in favour of our case, or against it: "He can lose marks in test situations through not checking his work thoroughly and making silly errors. Eliminating these alone would move him up to the next level (i.e. 5)." Should we highlight this as a reason he didn't quite pass, or not mention it (even not show the report)? I wouldn't worry about this as it's not a criticism of his ability. Worth a mention, I think.

- The form has a smallish box for you to put 'grounds for appealing'. Should we just put 'Please see attached letter', or attempt to summarise the case in this box?
Most parents do the former.

- We are going to ask his Y6 teacher to write a supporting letter. What sort of stuff would be helpful in such a letter? The usual things! Any examples of high ability.

Sorry for long post - more questions occurred as I wrote, but any suggestions gratefully received! I'm now registered so you can PM me or reply up here.

Thanks
Hope this helps.
Etienne
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

Etienne

Thanks again - looks like it was a late night for you as well!

...and no problem with the colour; helps a lot with clarity :D

BTW I just noticed that the appeal form has the date of 23/11 on it, whereas we didn't actually receive it until the 27th (because we had to ask them to send it rather than get it off the Head). That's 4 days of our 14 gone already! Hopefully it won't be an issue if we can get the Y6 letter early next week, but could I ask for an extension due to this?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes. I don't think it'll be a problem.

Regards
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Hertsdad
hertsdad wrote:We are going to ask his Y6 teacher to write a supporting letter. What sort of stuff would be helpful in such a letter?
Do make sure that your son's teacher sticks to writing about your son's academic ability in the letter. As an Out of County teacher she may not know what is required here.

Some teachers to waffle on about "what a nice, helpful boy he is". Being a good milk monitor doesn't get win a Grammar School place!

When asking my son's teachers for letters I asked for permission to read them through before the final version and in one case I did ask a teacher to change the wording slightly, as it didn't work quite as well as it should have done. He was perfectly happy to do that for me.

Best wishes
Sally-Annne