Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bucks appeal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:32 pm 
I'd be grateful if someone could give me their view on whether you think we have a case to present for my daughter.

- 11+ result 116 and 118
- headmistress support at level 2 but towards the bottom of her list
- Verbal CAT SAS scores (is this what some of you refer to as the CAT VR score?) 115 in 2005 and 117 in 2006
- 3x Level 5 at KS2 indicated in 2005 and 2006 CATS
- Have not yet received this years CATS (will this affect the appeal?)

Mitigating circumstances: embarrassing chronic medical problem with letter from GP. There was a flare up of this problem from the start of term, in the run up to and over the test period. I did not inform the school of her medical condition on her express wishes because she did not want anyone to know about it. Although she was not "unwell" on the test days, she did have discomfort and inevitable worry about possible embarrassing symptoms and medication side effects which I truly believe affected her performance on the day and may have reflected her general performance at school this term.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Ann

Post subject: Re: Bucks appeal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:01 pm 

Hello, Ann

Difficult to say.

I'd need to know more about the accuracy of the head's O. of S. See the thread: Importance of Child's Ranking - Bucks

You mention level 5s based on CATs, but is the head predicting level 5s or preferably mid-to-high level 5s?

"Have not yet received this years CATS (will this affect the appeal?)" Some schools do not even do CATs, but I would have thought it would help your case to have a CAT VR score in the mid-120s.

It would also strengthen your case if the head confirms that general school performance has deteriorated this term [in view of what you have said about the medical condition].

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:21 pm 

Ann,

Can you get a doctor's note detailing the effect of the medication?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 am 
Thanks to both of you.

As far as I'm aware the headmistress' O of S is usually fairly accurate. I have yet to see it or her supporting info and have this information verbally only at the moment after meeting with her yesterday. I do have a very detailed letter from her doctor. I guess my concern now is whether evidence of her academic ability is strong enough even with the mitigating circumstances. Hopefully the head's report will help here.

Thanks again, this has helped me to sort things out in my mind.
Ann