Appeal in Birmingham

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lucy2016

Re: Appeal in Birmingham

Post by Lucy2016 »

Thanks again for all previous help on this topic. We have our appeal hearing in a week's time. We have already put together our case showing how an incident in our daughter's 11 plus exam clearly affected her performance. This has been submitted. It is very clear to see in her scores for each section that there was a clear blip at the time of the incident (which I will send to the mail box). Although I can't go into details about the incident here, it has been admitted that it occurred. We have also provided strong evidence from her primary school saying that our daughter is of grammar school standard.

We have the case from the School opposing the appeal and they are still focussing on her score in the exam. they state that she did not achieve the mark required and that to admit her would be against their admissions policy. They also seem to be prepared to concede (possibly) that her performance in one section only might have been affected, but her overall score means that even if the incident hadn't occurred, she wouldn't have got a place anyway. They have done some very biased calculations to try to prove this.

I'm just wondering how we tackle this in the hearing. From our perspective, the incident affected at least three sections of the exam, and she would have achieved the required mark otherwise. But it all seems like science fiction, as the incident did occur! I'm just wondering how we shift the debate away from a score which does not reflect her academic ability (for clear reasons) to the evidence from the primary school which does show that she is of high academic ability? Also, can we challenge the point that they make about their admissions policy meaning that only the 11 plus score should be considered? Surely if the 11 plus score is not valid other information should be considered?

I'd really welcome any advice, as I want to be prepared as I can be!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thanks for the additional information. I've been out all day and am busy this evening, so I've just been able to glance through it. I will try to respond in more detail tomorrow.

If others would like to wade in on this point, they are welcome to do so in the meantime:
I'm just wondering how we shift the debate away from a score which does not reflect her academic ability (for clear reasons) to the evidence from the primary school which does show that she is of high academic ability? Also, can we challenge the point that they make about their admissions policy meaning that only the 11 plus score should be considered? Surely if the 11 plus score is not valid other information should be considered?
SMpharm

Post by SMpharm »

Hello,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while with avid interest. I am in the process of appealing a decision by King Edwards VI Handsworth. If the original poster Lucy2016 can respond I would be very grateful as I am in the same boat. The Foundation Office however have said they have NEVER released any answer sheets in the past and as they deem them to be commercially sensitive any request to release them would be exempt under the FOI? Are they lying? As it appears that Luct2016 has indicated that she did obtain her daughter answer sheets. Also Sally-Anne or Etienne I would like to show you my appeals letter so see if you think we have a chance and the best way to go forward? I have read most of the threads in the appeals section. Please help! How do I email the drop box?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SMpharm wrote:Hello,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while with avid interest. I am in the process of appealing a decision by King Edwards VI Handsworth. If the original poster Lucy2016 can respond I would be very grateful as I am in the same boat. The Foundation Office however have said they have NEVER released any answer sheets in the past and as they deem them to be commercially sensitive any request to release them would be exempt under the FOI? Are they lying? As it appears that Luct2016 has indicated that she did obtain her daughter answer sheets. Also Sally-Anne or Etienne I would like to show you my appeals letter so see if you think we have a chance and the best way to go forward? I have read most of the threads in the appeals section. Please help! How do I email the drop box?
Have a look at the 'stickies' at the top of the Appeals section, e.g. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=35032
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now