Appeal for a twin - both eligible but oversubscribed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mattsurf

Re: Appeal for a twin - both eligible but oversubscribed

Post by mattsurf »

As I have mentioned previously, I think that you have a case for maladministration based on wording and interpretation of the multiple births policy, and you are doing the right thing collecting evidence to support that. However, please do not focus on that aspect solely as the panel may not agree with your argument or may feel that the prejudice to the school is still greater than the prejudice to your daughter.

You say that you have a very good reason for wanting the twins to stay together in their teenage years. If this is the case, is there any research or professional opinions that would support your case? We had a situation where we were able to support our argument with academic research, unfortunately, a reason that you feel is totally compelling to you may not be as strong to the panel if you don't provide evidence why it is true. If you PM me, I can give you more details.

A case built on the basis of the technicalities of the code may be "legally" correct, but it is unlikely to win the "hearts and minds" of the appeal panel. A case that contains both the "legal" aspects as well as winning hearts and minds by demonstrating prejudice to your daughter who was not awarded a place is a much stronger case.

Please do not get downhearted about the situation. It is difficult to do alone, but as you pull your case together, I am sure that there are people on this forum who can help you to make it as strong as possible.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

I have had the final response from the other grammar school within the local area about what their multiple policy means. They quoted it to me verbatim but said the following:
"I have clarified this point and it means if one of your daughters falls within the ranking of 166 (the PAN is 166) and the other falls outside they will both be offered a place."

So, four schools in the location, using the umbrella title of 'The Consortium' for administering the 11+ with virtually the same multiple policy and two would admit regardless of the position of the second twin as an exceptional circumstance, one would admit if they both ranked 150 and the school I want will only admit if they are 180 and 181. What a system!

Now I am armed with all these facts I aim to carry out a two-pronged appeal. I have just started the paperwork. I would like to suggest that the policy may not have been followed properly as the rejection letter didn't even consider she was a twin or that there was a multiple birth policy. I will highlight the inconsistencies in its interpretation and that we had an expectation that these would be special circumstances for increasing the PAN. I will then focus on why the school is right for my daughter and why I want my twins to stay together. I hope that this combination of things will persuade the panel to admit her.

Thank you for all your advice so far. First I was sad, then I was angry and now I am focused and determined!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Respectfully, I would suggest focusing on proving that Twin 2 is of suitable academic ability for a GS and that the relatively low pass was a blip in her ability. No appeal is won on mitigating circumstances but could be won on academic ability and other factors. I would focus on the academic and mention the other factor about the multiple birth policy and possible confusing application of the policies as an aside. Win the panel over with her ability and they will be onside for the other bits - rather than trying vice versa.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Respectfully, I would suggest focusing on proving that Twin 2 is of suitable academic ability for a GS and that the relatively low pass was a blip in her ability. No appeal is won on mitigating circumstances but could be won on academic ability and other factors. I would focus on the academic and mention the other factor about the multiple birth policy and possible confusing application of the policies as an aside. Win the panel over with her ability and they will be onside for the other bits - rather than trying vice versa.
Oh, now I am confused. I didn't think she had a low pass and I thought passing meant she was of suitable academic ability. She didn't score as highly as her twin as she is actually much more of an all-rounder rather than just an 'academic'. She's very sporty, plays hockey for Weymouth and made it to regionals with her U10 team last year. She is a swimmer and competed at the Dorset County Championships last month. She plays football for the school, swims, competes at cross country and biathlon for her school and also is a member of the junior choir and musical theatre group and plays the saxophone. She makes my head spin by how busy she is! I can see how I am meant to convince the panel that she is a good fit for the school but I didn't think I needed to focus on her academic ability as she has met the criteria for entry.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Twinmumdorch wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Respectfully, I would suggest focusing on proving that Twin 2 is of suitable academic ability for a GS and that the relatively low pass was a blip in her ability. No appeal is won on mitigating circumstances but could be won on academic ability and other factors. I would focus on the academic and mention the other factor about the multiple birth policy and possible confusing application of the policies as an aside. Win the panel over with her ability and they will be onside for the other bits - rather than trying vice versa.
Oh, now I am confused. I didn't think she had a low pass and I thought passing meant she was of suitable academic ability. She didn't score as highly as her twin as she is actually much more of an all-rounder rather than just an 'academic'. She's very sporty, plays hockey for Weymouth and made it to regionals with her U10 team last year. She is a swimmer and competed at the Dorset County Championships last month. She plays football for the school, swims, competes at cross country and biathlon for her school and also is a member of the junior choir and musical theatre group and plays the saxophone. She makes my head spin by how busy she is! I can see how I am meant to convince the panel that she is a good fit for the school but I didn't think I needed to focus on her academic ability as she has met the criteria for entry.
Twinmudorch I urge you to read the appeals Q & A. Whilst I have every sympathy with your situation I am concerned that if you think sporting activities/achievements or indeed 'fit for the school' have any relevance in an appeal you are going down the wrong path. KCG, Sally-Anne and Mattsurf have offered some great advice, take it. Good luck.
mad?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yes, I can see that it is complicated by this. You are right about her having reached the benchmark score for entry, and as such the twin policy should allow her entry. Up here we don't have a benchmark score - entry entirely dictated by the highest score downward for 81 pupils for example. However, I do think that your case is strengthened by assuring any panel that she is academically a great fit for the school, rather than thinking its just a given - this can only strengthen your case in a positive way rather than simply concentrating on the possibility that they have ignored protocol and been unfair on the twin.

Good luck! I think you have a good case!
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

I don't think that this is valid for Poole, the pass mark is 294 for children in the catchment area, the OP's daughter scored 306, therefore there will be plenty of in-catchment children who were awarded a place who scored less than her Daughter; there is no need to prove that she is of suitable academic ability. The reason that her DD was not awarded a place is because children out of catchment are selected based on score, and based on her score she is on the wait list.

This is not an appeal about mitigating circumstances, which I agree cannot be successful without academic evidence, this is an appeal based on the prejudice to the daughter not getting a place being greater than the prejudice to the school of accepting her.

If the OP is in any doubt, they should contact the clerk to the appeal to understand whether this would be heard solely as a resource appeal or as a qualification and resource appeal.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

Twinmudorch I urge you to read the appeals Q & A. Whilst I have every sympathy with your situation I am concerned that if you think sporting activities/achievements or indeed 'fit for the school' have any relevance in an appeal you are going down the wrong path. KCG, Sally-Anne and Mattsurf have offered some great advice, take it. Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't trying to say her sporting achievements made her good for a grammar school; I was trying to explain that she is much more of what I would describe as an 'all rounder' if anyone compares her score to her sister's. She did score lower but does that mean I still have to prove her academic ability? There will be girls admitted who probably scored lower than she did in catchment and it didn't seem to us that her score was particularly low. She might think it is because she compares her score to her twin.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Granted I am in a different area, but if OCC children are selected on score, Twin 2 is lower down the waiting list than a number of other children, therefore focusing on academic ability showing how suited she is to a GS helps appeal why she should get the place over these "higher" scoring OCC children. The 'mitigating circus' I refer to was a bad choice of words - appeals for gs always have the aspect that the child has to be academically able and mitigating circus usually refer to why they didn't achieve as well as expected on the day - I used it (badly) to refer to the multiple birth bit - apologies. Whilst she has scored the pass mark, the fact that OCC now go in score order for the wait list, means there is an element of ranking, so you have to focus on academic to "prove" why she should in reality be ranked higher than the others, coupled with the "Brucie bonus" of the complicated application of the mb policies.

OP, only refer to all her other activities if the school is exceptionally strong in those, compared with other schools in the area - appeals panels for GS don't generally care about extra activities.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

There are 29 girls on the OOC waiting list. She was originally number 18 on allocation day. I suspect we are geographically the furthest away as we are 20+ miles. If any other girl is on a score of 307 they will come above her. She already thinks she's not good enough; (its tough when you have a twin who scores more than you in most things) and I have had to tell her if lots of girls are on the same score as her she will be bottom of them as they use distance as the other criteria so she may be ranked lower because of that. I am beginning to doubt I will ever win an appeal now and I cannot imagine what the fall-out will be. :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now