School will not give invigilator log - help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
theseneschal

Re: School will not give invigilator log - help!

Post by theseneschal »

I've realised I can send more info so I've emailed background information through to the box which explains why I'm so keen on seeing the log. Thank you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you for the email. As per the points made above, I think you need to put your request for the log in writing and see if there is still an outright refusal to provide it.

Regarding the other information, there is a very strong risk that the various mitigating circumstances you mention will become "excuses" in the panel members' minds. It's a common mistake that parents make, but too many "reasons why" can easily destroy a case.

The panel is looking, first and foremost, for clear evidence that the 11+ result is not representative of your daughter's academic ability. They will then want to satisfy their minds that there could be a valid reason why she did not perform to that standard on the day of the test.

Although that might appear to give even more focus to the invigilation issue, the panel will also be balancing the fact that other children in the same room will (presumably) have qualified. That takes you straight back to the need to prove academic ability.
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Thank you Sally-Anne for your reply. When I made my request for the invigilators log I did it by email, does that count as a written request or would by post be more appropriate. I was quite surprised that the school said no as I've scoured this forum for examples of people asking and it seemed a straightforward request.

Would you have any suggestions on how to follow up from the refusal. My DD1 goes to the school and is happy, Ive no complaints so I would feel quite awkward using an SAR as mattsurf suggests. However I feel I might have to if the information is not forthcoming.

I have thought about going back and asking the school to provide a list of timings but would prefer to see the thing in its entirety.

I appreciate your advice about not over complicating mitigating circumstances and keeping focused on academic ability. I will stick to that, thank you. I'm very grateful for help, this forum has been a godsend. Everything I've searched for on the Internet has more often than not brought me here for advice.

Just out of curiosity, have you come across anything like this happening before in your experience.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

theseneschal wrote:When I made my request for the invigilators log I did it by email, does that count as a written request or would by post be more appropriate. I was quite surprised that the school said no as I've scoured this forum for examples of people asking and it seemed a straightforward request.
Yes, email is a perfectly valid means of communication. If you have a reply email, you should firstly start to "print, print, print" and you should also revert to them asking precisely when you can expect to see a copy of the report. Will it be included in the appeal paperwork (which will be circulated to all parties 7 days in advance), or will it only be provided to both parties on the day of the appeal? You should also ask exactly why it can't be provided to you now?
Would you have any suggestions on how to follow up from the refusal. My DD1 goes to the school and is happy, Ive no complaints so I would feel quite awkward using an SAR as mattsurf suggests. However I feel I might have to if the information is not forthcoming.
Continue with polite requests and questions. An SAR can follow if those are not successful.
Just out of curiosity, have you come across anything like this happening before in your experience.
Yes, of course. Almost anything and everything that could happen during an 11+ test has been reported to us over the years, short of an escaped tiger finding its way into a test venue.

It is important to understand that an appeal can succeed without any clear mitigating circumstances, and I think you should now put them aside completely beyond pursuing the course of action above.

Turn your attention entirely to the academic case, and work with the Head/school to create the strongest case possible.

Once that is complete, add "a pinch of mitigating circumstances", as a recipe book might say!
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Thanks Sally-Anne. I think I'm reaching the end of the blind panic stage of the 11+ appeal process emotional roller coaster, having worked through the phases of denial and guilt already. Not bad since Tuesday!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You're doing very, very well in that time-frame. I have been there and I understand how you feel.

We are all here to support you and to help you turn things the right way up!

S-A
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

That's good to know :-)
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Just to let you know that I posted some additional information to the appeals box. Thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now