Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm
Posts: 5
Looks like the max distance for OOC was only 2.53 miles this year, compared to 5.5 last year. I think even the school is shocked at this.

I understand that the kent parishes being given priority was brought in last year, but was there any additional change this year to account for this change? The school seemed to suggest this was purely down to more children applying this year, but wondering if anybody has any other info.

We're now looking at options to appeal. I've read all of the FAQs on this already. The jist I've got from it is to try and convince the appeal panel that taking students over PAN has been done historically, and did not impact results, and therefore should be allowed this time. This combined with strong reasons as to why this school is suitable for our son. Is this going to be enough to convince a panel? Is this not the same argument every other appeal is going to use. I'm just struggling to understand how we can make a case to overcome the oversubscription criteria. Any and all advice would be welcomed please.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 212
Is there any reason why the school you have been allocated is not suitable? We are using this as the main thrust of our argument as the journey home would be 2 hours.
Anything that would make your case stand out which is particular to your circumstances would help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
PurpleDog wrote:
Is there any reason why the school you have been allocated is not suitable? We are using this as the main thrust of our argument ...
Everything I have ever read on this forum about appeals suggests that this is not the way to go about it, but to focus instead on why the school you want is suitable and why your child needs to go there.

Those who know about appeals on here all say that little more than a passing reference should be made to why the selected school isn't appropriate, which can be expanded on if the panel asks you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 212
Amber wrote:
PurpleDog wrote:
Is there any reason why the school you have been allocated is not suitable? We are using this as the main thrust of our argument ...
Everything I have ever read on this forum about appeals suggests that this is not the way to go about it, but to focus instead on why the school you want is suitable and why your child needs to go there.

Those who know about appeals on here all say that little more than a passing reference should be made to why the selected school isn't appropriate, which can be expanded on if the panel asks you.


I'm afraid that differs from the advice we have been given. We have been advised not to criticise the school we have been allocated which is totally understandable but in our case there would be significant detriment to our child by going to the school we have been allocated which is very relevant to our appeal case.

I understood that this was the whole point of the balancing stage of the appeals process to balance the prejudice to the school against the prejudice to the child of not being offered a place. I don't know how you can do this without reference to the alternative which has been offered.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8206
Location: Buckinghamshire
PurpleDog wrote:
I understood that this was the whole point of the balancing stage of the appeals process to balance the prejudice to the school against the prejudice to the child of not being offered a place. I don't know how you can do this without reference to the alternative which has been offered.

The alternative school can of course be referenced, but it is the way it is done that is important.

E.g. 1: "Preferred School A has a strong history of supporting children with dyslexia, while Allocated School B has stated to us that they do not believe they have the facilities required to support our child." No problem with that at all.

E.g. 2: "Allocated School B is in a rough area (read: has rough kids ...), while Preferred School A is in a nicer area where our little flower will feel safer walking home." Ouch!

As a rule of thumb, you should always remember that a member of the panel might have a child or grandchild who has attended School B. Nothing you say should be capable of offending that person.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm
Posts: 5
What if your strongest argument for the school in question is that it is a grammar, compared to the one you've been allocated not being a grammar? I'm guessing this is the truth in the majority of appeals for grammar schools, but is it something the appeal panel will be interested in hearing?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 406
The Head of WGSB spoke about appeals at an Open Morning we attended. He said they rapidly lose interest in those that are appealing for a place at a grammar school, whereas those who are appealing for a place at WGSB and have positive reasons for wanting this school are looked upon more favourably. Last year there were 100 appeals and 5 places offered.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 406
The number of OOC boys getting a place at Wilmington fell sharply this year from 91 last year to only 32 this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm
Posts: 5
Muggle wrote:
The number of OOC boys getting a place at Wilmington fell sharply this year from 91 last year to only 32 this year.


Where did you get this information from? We have the appeal pack now and it states that only 8 places were offered outside of the kent parishes (which I assume means OOC).

The other question I had was regarding the reasons put forward for prejudice against the school in the appeal pack, by the HT. They have spelt our DS's name incorrectly. I'm concerned what other bits of information may be incorrect - i.e. have they done a fair assessment of my DS's individual circumstances? Unsure where to go with this one - is it worth pointing it out, or raising it during the appeal?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 34
My understanding is that in the case for the school it is generally a case against admitting any more children, so they won't at this stage have weighed up any specific evidence. That happens at stage 2, the individual hearings and then the panel (not the HT) will consider whether in your son's case there would be more harm to him if he is not admitted than to the school if he is admitted.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016