When do the appeal make their decision?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

susanass

When do the appeal make their decision?

Post by susanass »

I have just had my appeal and just wondered if anyone knows when the panel make their decision? I know that they have to wait until the last appeal is heard, but does anyone know if they have a system where they have a yes, no and a maybe straight after each appeal? If they do wait until the end, how do they remember what each person said in the appeal? Just worried that by the time they have heard all the appeals they would have forgotten about each individual case, especially the ones heard towards the beginning of the appeal? thanks
MaggieMay

Re: When do the appeal make their decision?

Post by MaggieMay »

The Clerk to the panel will have made notes for each appeal and the panel will have their own informal notes and also keep their case papers of all the appeals for that school until the last one is heard. Usually, when all the appeals have been heard, they will then 'refresh' their memory, assisted by the clerk on all the cases and go through each one to decide whether that particular case outweighs the (prejudice) case for the school. If they decide that the school cannot take all those children whose case outweighs the prejudice, the clerk will assist the panel in 'ranking' those cases and come to a decision as to how many appeals will be successful. This can be very time-consuming of course, if there are a lot of appeals. The clerk then has 5 working days to write the decision letter.
susanass

Post by susanass »

MaggieMay wrote:The Clerk to the panel will have made notes for each appeal and the panel will have their own informal notes and also keep their case papers of all the appeals for that school until the last one is heard. Usually, when all the appeals have been heard, they will then 'refresh' their memory, assisted by the clerk on all the cases and go through each one to decide whether that particular case outweighs the (prejudice) case for the school. If they decide that the school cannot take all those children whose case outweighs the prejudice, the clerk will assist the panel in 'ranking' those cases and come to a decision as to how many appeals will be successful. This can be very time-consuming of course, if there are a lot of appeals. The clerk then has 5 working days to write the decision letter.
Thank you Maggie May, the head of the school was present at my appeal. Do they also see all the paperwork we sent in and do they have any input with regards to the outcome of the appeal? Thank you so much for your help.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

The HT shouldn't be a part of the decision at all. They aren't even supposed to be in the room with the appeal panel without parents in there. I think that they did see the parent's side. They had an opportunity to question us and we were able to question them, although the appeal panel did most of the questioning.
susanass

Post by susanass »

monochromecat wrote:The HT shouldn't be a part of the decision at all. They aren't even supposed to be in the room with the appeal panel without parents in there. I think that they did see the parent's side. They had an opportunity to question us and we were able to question them, although the appeal panel did most of the questioning.
Thank you, this is exactly why I ask the question, as the head also asked us a question at the start, which I found odd as I thought they just had to sit there and listen?
Last edited by susanass on Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munster

Post by Munster »

What area was your appeal? I thought the appeals panel had to be independent from the school
twindad

Post by twindad »

The procedure does not allow Headteacher to be present during the appeal process. You can further highlight this issue if you are not happy with it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

twindad wrote:The procedure does not allow Headteacher to be present during the appeal process. You can further highlight this issue if you are not happy with it.
If the school is its own admission authority, the HT could be there as the Presenting Officer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
susanass

Post by susanass »

Hello, I am sure the head is supposed to be there as they sent us a letter saying who was going to be present at the panel beforehand. Now I just have to wait until all the appeals have been heard :?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Yes, we had two appeals and the headteachers were there representing the school. They asked questions too.
For one school, which had a stage one, there were only questions and for the other school the headmaster stated the school's case. As it was over subscription, it was basically "sorry, we are full". So, just reiterating what had been sent in writing. I must say that finding the headmaster there made me extremely nervous. Now, it doesn't matter as I feel he knows us better.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now