Filling in appeal form

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

Re: Filling in appeal form

Post by Marylou »

Rose_ wrote:I'm also trying to form my argument as I lodge the appeal and not sure how much to show my hand.

Part of my case is to do with the suitability of the school for my DD, but I also want to query that the PAN hasn't changed despite a new building with science classrooms has opened in December at the school, so technically they may not be full. Do I mention that at all in my reasons for appeal (either in the initial submission or in the more detailed bit with evidence), or do I just wait until the hearing to question the school's case? I want to see what information they provide beforehand, and am planning to request the information about the school's net capacity before the appeal to check whether they have reassessed their capacity, but I'm worried this will show my hand (but I know I want to have sight of this before the hearing).

How much do the school know about your individual case before the hearing, i.e. do they know that you're going to question their capacity if you mention it in the reasons to appeal?
If this is the school I'm thinking about (and even if it isn't, the argument may still apply), you wouldn't be giving much away by requesting the information. The potential for increased capacity would already have been questioned at other appeals over the last few years while the new building was in the pipeline and in construction, with the panels showing particular interest in this point at Stage 1 and themselves questioning the school about it as it represents a significant increase in classroom space. So it's likely that the school will by now be ready with an answer, but that's no reason not to raise it again. Remember this is a Stage 1 issue and, as such, could help anyone appealing on oversubscription grounds. There's every chance that someone else will ask about it if you don't. The priority should still be to focus on your individual hearing at Stage 2.
Marylou
Rose_

Re: Filling in appeal form

Post by Rose_ »

Thanks for the replies, we've not mentioned anything about the school at the moment, and focused on our case for Stage 2 - DD's primary Headteacher has given us a very supportive letter to include so hope that helps. Meanwhile we've also made sure we've got the appeal sent in in good time (deadline is mid-April for the main appeals round) so that we'll have time to review the school's case and we can be ready to question if necessary. It would be great if the appeal panel decide that the school has more capacity but we're not going to rely on it. I think we've got a good case, just have to wait now.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now