Urgent re: appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: Urgent re: appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

MadDad1975 wrote:There's actually no requirement to notify both parties 'simultaneously'. In most cases schools are actually notified of decisions first.
It is clearly implied in the School Admission Appeals Code (2012) that all parties should be notified of the panel's decision simultaneously:
Notification of the decision

2.24 The panel must communicate the decision of each appeal, including the reasons for that decision, in writing to the appellant, the admission authority and the local authority. The clerk or chair must sign the decision letter and send it to the parties as soon as possible after the hearing but not later than five school days, unless there is good reason.
Some areas may of course have developed their own "quirks" in dealing with the matter.
MadDad1975

Post by MadDad1975 »

Where does it say they have to be notified at the same time? Things the Code might 'imply' are irrelevant. Trust me, admission authorities are notified before parents.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Every admission authority will have its own way of dealing with this. The Code doesn't specify that all parties should be notified simultaneously, but the intention is clear.
Trust me, admission authorities are notified before parents.
Not in Bucks unless there is an exceptional reason (urgency) to do so, and not in a few other 11+ areas where I have dealt with appeals.

Your area may of course be different. You cannot extrapolate your personal experience to "all admission authorities".
MadDad1975

Post by MadDad1975 »

Having looked back at my posts I can't see where I mentioned "all" admission authorities. You also seem to be saying I can't extrapolate my experiences but that's exactly what you're doing.

Think about it. Most grammar schools are academies and commission their appeal services. If you were a headteacher and were paying for an appeals service, would you make it a requirement you were notified of the decision in advance of parents so you could be prepared? I would, as do most schools. It's especially important for succesful in-year appeals so timetables can be arranged and children accommodated as quickly as possible.

I'm assuming that when you commissioned an appeals service this wasn't something you asked for. That was your choice but an unusual one.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

MadDad...that is a bit of an aggressive tack to be taking on this forum, especially with one of our most respected and supportive moderators. You may have something to say but your last comment is simply rude and uncalled for.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

I can see why a school might find it useful to know first, but surely it could throw into doubt the independence of the panel, as it would be possible for the school to question a decision, whereas if it all goes out at the same time then there is doubt about it. I am not saying that a school would influence the decision, just that they could.
catcool

Post by catcool »

The school do find out in advance of the parents and that is my experience as well.
No they can't and certainly do not influence decisions as the panel's decison making can take hours and the school's Rep has long since gone home and only finds out hours later if her/she rings in for results.
ash14

Post by ash14 »

In our appeal I believe the school was told first then us as we received the letter form the appeal panel and then the following day the school. I guess it's to prosper the school for the additional head counts etc