Appeal tomorrow. Please help - urgent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onebigdilemma

Re: Appeal tomorrow. Please help - urgent

Post by onebigdilemma »

It is a lot easier to change from a GS to a non grammar if she really doesn't like it in year 7 but will be a lot harder if she starts in the non grammar and wishes she had gone to the GS. (I am assuming the offered school is not a GS)
Scoobydoomark2

Post by Scoobydoomark2 »

Her allocated school is oversubscribed so there's not much chance of slotting back in there if things go wrong at the grammar. That has been a massive consideration for me. However it is a school for which she would be high up on any waiting lists I think.
Last edited by Scoobydoomark2 on Sat May 28, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Very good advice. They are young and that's why we, as parents, have to guide them. I would go to the appeal and if I won I would then deal with the situation.

I leave you with a little anecdote:

One of my son's closest friends waited almost the whole summer for a place at a grammar school. As time went by he was feeling quite stressed. His friends were going to other grammar or selective schools and he was the only one left. Then he spent some time with an old friend who was going to his allocated school and when he was first on the waiting list he announced he no longer wanted to go to the grammar school. Those were difficult times and even my son had to do some encouraging.

When he got the place his parents accepted and took him to buy his uniform, the other family members celebrated with him, etc. He was sulking, angry with his parents.

What happened next? He absolutely loved the school and still does.
Good luck tomorrow!
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Hey Scoobydoo don't forget to take your Scooby Snacks before the appeal - Good luck! :D
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

We are in a very similar position and although she might have to wait a little while then she is likely to be v high on waiting list. It may be though that she doesn't want to get her hopes up again and so is protecting herself. She may well feel differently with (hopefully) an offer in her hand.

You mentioned the mark. Is she likely to be in bottom groups? Is this why she is worried? Not that it would necessarily be a problem but that might be another consideration. I am not sure if I would want them going if she might be in bottom groups for everything. Would be different if she was strong in some subjects but weaker in others.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Low 11+ marks does not mean they will be in lower groups! Some of the highest achievers I've taught actually got in on appeal.

Win the appeal and then decide :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Low 11+ marks does not mean they will be in lower groups! Some of the highest achievers I've taught actually got in on appeal.

Win the appeal and then decide :)
Also, didn't the OP say initially that the appeal is for a place at a school for which her DD gap qualified, but which is oversubscribed? Every subject will have someone who is bottom of the class in itI. But this is just relative where the examining authority has decreed that a candidate is considered to be of an acceptable standard for admission.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Scoobydoomark2

Post by Scoobydoomark2 »

Yes she passed for more than two grammars as it happens and got neither - both over subscribed.

Can I be sure that winning the appeal does not automatically mean I have to take the place? That would take the pressure off massively at the moment and I can get on with attempting to win the appeal. Is any one 100% sure on this matter?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Of course. You don't have to.
Consider the scenario where a parent has to appeal to more than one school. What happens if they win both?

In certain regions where the waiting list is frozen during or even before the appeals, as it happens in some schools in Kent, parents are encouraged to appeal as otherwise there may not be a chance of the school being below PAN if children have got in through an appeal.

We were discussing this on another thread. Unfortunately, as a parent you don't know whether you'll win, so you appeal and potentially could win both.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

We are just about to appeal for our youngest child and also had to appeal for his brother three years ago. We deliberately did not let them know at all when the appeal was as IMHO that would just increase the pressure on them. My son asked me today when the appeal hearing is (our appeal is Wed) and I just said we will tell you when we know. Maybe your daughter just wants to prepare herself for not getting in. I would definitely go ahead, after all you have done all the work. At my son's school, if someone had won an appeal and then turned the place down then that place went to the next person on the waiting list so you are probably not prejudicing other children. Good luck!