IAP Member - same as previous appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heartmum

Re: IAP Member - same as previous appeal?

Post by heartmum »

Hope someone may be able to help.

I've not been able to obtain DCs final working levels (only have up to beginning of summer term), despite requesting them, school has not been forthcoming :( I do have DCs marked papers returned from recent KS3 Y7 Term 3 Maths test (AQA) - however they only give the total/percentage but not what that would equate to a working level equivalent. Could someone help/advise where/if I can obtain this information. Would be helpful for appeal? Thanks :)
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is it an old KS3 paper? AQA didn't produce them.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi Guest55 - the paper has the official AQA logo with the wording on the front page ... 'Key Stage 3 Mathematics Term 3, Year 7 extension paper', with copyright date 2015?

DD got 57/60 on paper 1 and 54/60 paper 2 (so overall all 111/120 = 92.5%)
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OK - the papers and mark schemes are on the AQA teacher website - I've found nothing to translate marks into grades or anything like that!

'Extension' I think must equate to 'above Year 7 expectations' and that mark I interpret as 'well above' - does that help?

I have PMd you what it says on the site about the tests.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:OK - the papers and mark schemes are on the AQA teacher website - I've found nothing to translate marks into grades or anything like that!

'Extension' I think must equate to 'above Year 7 expectations' and that mark I interpret as 'well above' - does that help?

I have PMd you what it says on the site about the tests.
OK thanks Guest55 :) shame the school weren't forthcoming with end of year results, do you think it's worth taking the actual tests with me to the appeal just to show what DC attained in the end of year test, as a piece of additional academic work?
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes and I would highlight the word 'extension' - so it's clear that the papers is a high level one.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:Yes and I would highlight the word 'extension' - so it's clear that the papers is a high level one.
Done - highlighted :) ... thank you for your excellent advice Guest55 - as always :D x x
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It might be worth attaching the text I PMd you - or some of it - as panel members probably won't know anything about them.

I'll have another look to see if there's anything else of use.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Received first decision for DCs appeal, panel decided DC was not of academic ability :( love to understand how panel come to that conclusion when DC is working at the grammar school's Median level for science and above the school's Median levels for Maths AND English. DC has worked very hard to prove her levels in English (as this was where she felt she let herself down at 11+ review) and obviously worked hard at Maths (loves this subject and excels at it). To now find out that although she is now working above this grammar's Median levels in English/Maths she still is deemed not academic enough. Sometimes one wonders at the decision of these panels :? :roll:
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry to hear that heartmum - sometimes I think Appeal panel members don't really understand the varying levels in Bucks GS or the range of abilities they include.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now