poss dyspraxia/ ? useful to ask for additonal time or hinder

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: poss dyspraxia/ ? useful to ask for additonal time or hi

Post by Etienne »

My point that some questions he will never be able to answer due to his dyslexia .......
Yes, I understand - and it's an argument that could certainly be put forward for consideration in the event of an appeal (the more so if it is supported by the educational psychologist).
....... the head teacher concerned works with the appeals panel.
In what capacity, I wonder?
Does he attend appeal hearings to represent his school?
Etienne
twomonkeys

Post by twomonkeys »

Yes we are in Bucks and after reading the comments maybe because he was allowed the max 25% extra from the ed psych, we couldn't then argue that his condition wasn't given enough consideration.

Fingers crossed we won't need to go to appeal but its always good to lay the ground work ahead of time especially if you know they are at a disadvantage.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

At one of our appeals in Bucks (the one we failed, guess what), the Admission Authority rep said that if anyone was given 25% extra time they would be able to pass the test, and that 25% would undermine the integrity of the test. My DD was only allowed 10%, despite the application on advice for 25%. I think that if you accepted the adjustment and still failed it would be hard to make a case with a hostile panel and challenging rep like we had.

Furthermore, I am being driven nuts by your problem, because I love these puzzles.
Find the three letters that complete each of these words:

b___c
spa___er
Am I being dylsexic here myself or is this impossible? Someone please tell me the answer :?
twomonkeys

Post by twomonkeys »

Bumblebeez I'm so glad its not just me.

The first one is basic (a friend got that one) and the second we just didn't have a clue. I'm so glad its not me taking the 11+.

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful in your appeal. Thank your input and its good to know that if we had applied for the extra 25% from the ed psych we probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

So Bucks didn't actually award 25%? That makes sense, from what I've learned and has already been said here that would have been very unusual indeed.

As for the puzzle, I thought it needed to be the same three letters in both words! If not, the other one could be spanner, spatter, sparser ...

And we passed another appeal, so you can get lucky with a reasonable and sensible panel! It took two attempts at 11+, and two at 12+ though :roll:

All the best.
twomonkeys

Post by twomonkeys »

Yes for clarification, the ed psych recommended 25% but as we were told to choose one or other from the Head Teacher, we never found out what Bucks would have awarded as we choose to forgo the extra time and use the report in any appeal.

I'm so pleased you got through in the end with appeals :-)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've never known Bucks to give more than 10% for dyslexia/dyspraxia when Ed Psychs have recommended 25%.

Every other exam - KS2 tests, GCSEs, A level, uni - will go with the Ed Psych recommendations.
salsa

Post by salsa »

With regards to the extra time, is the school requesting extra time for SATs? 25%?
Is this something that is requested or are schools able to "award" it?

About the puzzle, the type I've seen requires a three letter word for the gap. So, if the word were b asi c, then I haven't come across "asi" as a word.

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

spa rkl er
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

twomonkeys wrote:........ he was offered 25% extra time in exams.
I see from the clarification that he wasn't offered 25% extra time after all.
I agree with Guest55 that, if an application had actually been made, the offer would most likely have been less than what was being recommended.
Etienne wrote:
twomonkeys wrote:....... the head teacher concerned works with the appeals panel.
In what capacity, I wonder?
Does he attend appeal hearings to represent his school?
The reason for my question is that, if attends appeal hearings to represent his school, he wouldn't get to hear what panels really think, so he must be guessing. The only person allowed to sit in on an appeal panel's deliberations and decision making is the independent clerk.

Or is he a review panel member? Reviews are very different from appeals. :?
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now