Schools wanting students on appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Schools wanting students on appeal?

Post by loobylou »

Hi, I am asking on behalf of someone else and leaving it deliberately vague as any details could easily be identifiable.
I know someone whose child has not got a place at the school of their choice but in my opinion (and their's) the school would be the perfect fit for their child. They would have to appeal against non-qualification but they could argue the case reasonably well (again just my opinion) and there is also another mitigating factor which could apply.

I have 2 questions:
1) Do schools ever (particularly in these cash-strapped days) want the applicant so much (because they agree they would be a great fit and a good student) that they will agree to take them regardless of the views of the rest of the appeal panel? (ie if the panel thinks their arguments are weak but the school likes them)

and

2) Does the panel know where they have an offer? For example if School A is perfect but school B could meet most of their needs (at least on paper) but schools C-F would not, if they were offered School B would the panel be aware and say "but you have B so you don't need A". If that were the case would they be aware if the parents turned down B in the hope (possibly extremely risky hope) that the appeal panel would say C etc do not meet the needs and therefore agree that A would be better.

I hope that makes some sort of sense. I am happy to PM details but don't want to on an open forum because this is not about me so I am very cautious (even though I've been asked to do it) about putting any identifiable details.
Guest55

Re: Schools wanting students on appeal?

Post by Guest55 »

Q1) The IAPs decision is binding on both sides so the school can't admit them.

Q2) The appeal panel could have a copy of the CAF and might well know the allocated school - ours did. However they should not let this influence their decision as they may not know the allocated school in detail.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

loobylou wrote: 1) Do schools ever (particularly in these cash-strapped days) want the applicant so much (because they agree they would be a great fit and a good student) that they will agree to take them regardless of the views of the rest of the appeal panel? (ie if the panel thinks their arguments are weak but the school likes them)
I don't think so, if this is the normal point of entry, and there are other appeals taking place.
If it were to happen, it would be entirely outside the appeal process, and there would have to be a legal justification - a temporary increase in the PAN, for example, sufficient for the child to be given a place under the admission criteria. (The school cannot pick and choose which particular child it wants.)

However, in the case of a single (probably in-year) appeal, it wouldn't be difficult for the school either to hint that it would be happy to take the appellant, or alternatively to offer little resistance!
2) Does the panel know where they have an offer? For example if School A is perfect but school B could meet most of their needs (at least on paper) but schools C-F would not, if they were offered School B would the panel be aware and say "but you have B so you don't need A". If that were the case would they be aware if the parents turned down B in the hope (possibly extremely risky hope) that the appeal panel would say C etc do not meet the needs and therefore agree that A would be better.
What the panel know about preferences (and offers) varies!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for your help.
I guess it's just up to them whether they decide to appeal now and whether the mitigating factor is perceived as mitigating by the panel.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now