GP charging for writing letter to assist appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

Why not just ask social services for a letter. Capers would their evidence particularly about the affects of stress on your daughter hold as much weight as a GP letter? I bet they won't charge for it either.
Guest36

Post by Guest36 »

Capers

Having just read this thread I have got a little worried. I am appealing for my DD and there were circumstances (I gave birth bang in the middle of the two exams) are you saying that the appeal panels will not take any notice of this, again I have letters from the school and the midwife/hospital as it did affect my DD are you saying this will carry no weight!! I did ask for advice in an earlier thread and was told that they were strong circumstances. A different perspective would be good.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest36

Everyone's situation is so different on "mitigating circumstances" that you can't draw conclusions from Capers' comments.

I think that I recall your case from an earlier post and would say that your experience was a good case, rather than a poor one.

Capers and I have both heard too many stories about people who "rush off to the doctor for a letter" when they hear that their child has not qualified, looking for any possible excuse. The evidence is often flimsy, at best.

The birth of a sibling between the two tests is irrefutable evidence of a major disruption to the family and a huge distraction. It is in another league from some of the issues that come up at appeal.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Guest36

Post by Guest36 »

Thank You Sally-Anne, I know no case is 100% proof but this helps a lot, whether it is a success or not at least I know I tried and the school are supporting me unreservedly I am not trying to make excuses for her.

As the date gets nearer for the appeal, the more worried I get (like most parents!!).

Only another 28 days to go!!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Guest36 wrote:Having just read this thread I have got a little worried. I am appealing for my DD and there were circumstances (I gave birth bang in the middle of the two exams) are you saying that the appeal panels will not take any notice of this, again I have letters from the school and the midwife/hospital as it did affect my DD are you saying this will carry no weight!!
Well, I'm sorry. Us panels all believe that parents should be using contraceptives for at least 2 years before the 11+ to minimise the risks of stress to your child. And the weight it carries is in direct proportion to the birth weight of your newborn, divided by the current weight of the examinee. :wink:

Your case and Sanjays are different. Sanjays wife gave birth earlier, but had pre & post-natal depression, whereas you gave birth between the exams (they weren't on the same day were they?!). Both have strong merits, and both would stand out. I'm not in your area, so don't know quite how the appeals work, but if you were in mine, you'd both stand a good chance of success (but of course, subject to the prejudice that allowing your appeal could have against children already in - blah, blah, blah).

It's more the old 'my son broke his arm playing rugby 6 months before the exam, and was still getting pain, here's a letter from a GP whose son plays on the same team as Johnny, stating that he may have been in pain, allow our appeal as he will be an asset to the school rugby team (but isn't very bright otherwise)' type appeal that carries less weight.

However, I'm not sure you should take your baby to the appeal unless you can guarantee that it will make so much noise that the panel will make an instant yes decision just to get rid of you!
Capers
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

capers123 wrote:It's more the old 'my son broke his arm playing rugby 6 months before the exam, and was still getting pain, here's a letter from a GP whose son plays on the same team as Johnny, stating that he may have been in pain, allow our appeal as he will be an asset to the school rugby team (but isn't very bright otherwise)' type appeal that carries less weight.
Or even "someone in the row behind my son sneezed twice during the test and my son says it ruined his concentration". :roll:

Sally-Anne
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

Capers,

Excellent so the fact my DD is 5st and the new born was 15st should carry a lot of weight..............if you get my drift!!! (he is a big boy and she was probably jealous he was bigger than her!!)

:lol:
Caz34red
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

By the way I am Caz34red not Guest36, could not remember the password last night!!!
Caz34red
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now