Selection Review Preparation. Bucks 11 +

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Selection Review Preparation. Bucks 11 +

Post by Etienne »

I have read 'Marys Letter' and was wondering would it be worth mentioning that my dd already has an older brother at GS and felt pressure to perform well?
Yes, although I'm not claiming it will work as an argument.
(I'm assuming the headteacher won't say that he was aware of this at the time and noticed the effects?)
I think sibling rivalry/pressure can sometimes work at appeal, because panel members have the opportunity to ask you questions about the impact, and to probe. This isn't possible at review.
One thing to avoid is a long list of weak extenuating circumstances. Best thing to do is pick one, stick to it, and hope for the best.
Also at selection review is it worth including extra curricular activities like learning languages outside of school?
Yes - anything academic.
I suspect, though, that SRPs are very focused on what is on the selection review summary sheet.
Is the headteacher aware of "learning languages outside of school" and would he be willing to mention it? It might carry a bit more weight coming from him.
Should I also write about what kind of child my dd is and why she wants to attend gs?
Absolutely not!
Thank God for this forum and your invaluable help :)
You're welcome! :D
Etienne
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Thanks Etienne. After a lot of reading and research I am finding a lot of posts and info implying that the quicker you get your review in the more chance you have of a succesful review. Whats your opinion on this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's wrong - take your time and get the right information on the form.

There is no 'quota' of succesful reviews and there are several panels ...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Kash72 wrote:Thanks Etienne. After a lot of reading and research I am finding a lot of posts and info implying that the quicker you get your review in the more chance you have of a succesful review. Whats your opinion on this?
I don't know where you've got this from.
As Guest55 says, it's wrong!
Etienne
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Ok, so tomorrow I am due to meet dds HT. So far I have gathered this info with regards to Academic Evidence:

End of Yr2
KS1 Sats Reading 3 Writing 2A Maths 3

End Yr3 Reading 3a Writing 3b Maths 3a

End of Yr4 Reading Exceeding Writing Exceeding Maths Exceeding

End of yr 5 Reading Secure Writing Secure Maths Secure

Note that the numbers were actual level codes based on the schools old style national curriculum levels against which performance is measured. My problem of understanding, lies when the new curriculum kicked in, in year 4 when the new national curriculum changed and the levels were scrapped the milestones were moved for each subject meaning that where children were deemed to be working two years ahead they were actually put "back" due to the change of subject content.

Under the new national curriculum students can only be graded at "meeting the expected grade" there is no scope for exceeding.

The range of scaled scores available for each KS2 test is the same and will stay the same in future years:

80 is the lowest scaled score that can be awarded
120 is the highest scaled score
Every scaled score will represent the same level of attainment for a pupil each year, so a pupil who scores 103, for example, in 2016 will have demonstrated the same attainment as a pupil who scores 103 in 2017.

A scaled score of 100 will always represent the expected standard on the test. Pupils scoring 100 or more will have met the expected standard on the test.

My question is that as far as I am aware the 11+ tests in bucks are not set any higher than what is taught in yr 5 why then would a selection review panel or appeals panel be looking for the candidate to be working at least two years ahead? Also under the new grading system for KS2 all candidates are graded as having the same level of attainment if they achieve 100 or more, how does this help ascertain whether a student is working above their expected age level?

This is worrying because I can not see how the HT can record anything further other than "meeting expectations" when he predicts the end of KS2 scores?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Kash72 wrote: Under the new national curriculum students can only be graded at "meeting the expected grade" there is no scope for exceeding.

This is worrying because I can not see how the HT can record anything further other than "meeting expectations" when he predicts the end of KS2 scores?
The first part of this is wrong - in most schools there certainly is an 'exceeding' measure.

From what I've heards Heads are going to have to predict the KS2 score in certain ranges - have you seen the sheet yet?
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

I have actually ready this on the gov website so I'm not sure how wrong it can be unless I'm misunderstanding it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scor ... ey-stage-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow this link and see what you think.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It does say teacher assessment can be exceeding ...

"As tests and teacher assessment (TA) are different forms of assessment, they do not report using the same scale. As a result, there are no scaled score equivalents to the TA concepts of ‘working towards the expected standard’ or ‘working at greater depth within the expected standard’."

The latter is the equivalent of exceeding - scores of 110 or more I would think - there was some discussion on this in July on a thread when the KS2 results came out.
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Would have been much easier if they had just stuck to national levels! Hopefully I will be able to shed some more light on HTs recommendations tomorrow and I will post after.

Thanks
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Hi

I have finally got the HT selection review form back and all the information needed. So the scenario is as follows so please advise if I need to consider anything else:

DD scored 118

HT has recommended her as a 2:1

Key St 1 Results Reading 3c Writing 2A Maths 3c

End of Yr 3 Results Reading GDS Writing GDS Maths GDS

End of Yr 4 Results Reading GDS Writing GDS Maths GDS

End of Yr 4 Results Reading GDS Writing GDS Maths GDS

Key Stage 2 Predictions Reading EXS 111-120 Writing GDS 111-120 Maths EXS 111-120

We have no extenuating circumstances other than her older sibling is already at GS and there was an element of pressure to perform well, this is the only circumstance I will be using, although I am aware it may be weak, should I put the name of the school he is attending?

HT has mentioned that dd is learning a foreign language outside of school, and has filled out the comments box 6 with his statement, should I include a copy of her year 5 report alongside academic achievement certificates?

Is there anything else that I have not covered? I have not prepared my statement yet but will be keeping it very factual and to the point.

Thanks ppl!!! Will be glad to submit the review and then just the waiting game!