Slough - 109. Any chance?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
metalicblue

Slough - 109. Any chance?

Post by metalicblue »

Our DD scored 109. It is so tough to accept. So close, yet so far.

I would like to know what are chances of DD getting place in one of Slough Grammar Schools? We are in Langley Grammar catchment area.

Input from you is greatly appreciated.
Tinkers

Re: Slough - 109. Any chance?

Post by Tinkers »

As that is below the qualifying score, I believe that means your DD would not be admitted, even if there were spaces.

You have the option of appealing of course, but that would be in March and you would have to put the schools on your CAF. I'm not sure how successful appeals have been in Slough.
metalicblue

Post by metalicblue »

Tinkers wrote:As that is below the qualifying score, I believe that means your DD would not be admitted, even if there were spaces.

You have the option of appealing of course, but that would be in March and you would have to put the schools on your CAF. I'm not sure how successful appeals have been in Slough.
Thanks Tinkers for inputs.

How about re-marking?
I was told that they wont take request for re-marking until after allocation in March. We will request for re-marking as DD rubbed few answers 'quickly' and answered again.

In March, after allocation, if re-marking improves RAW score then how this will be dealt? will they provide place in Grammar school ?

OR

will they simply say re-marking resulted in no change, in order to avoid further adjustment in allocation? I understand they wont be showing answer sheet to parents.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I don't believe they'd fudge the re-marking to suit their allocation. That would be theft/fraud. No reputable organisation is going to run that risk. I don't think that re-marking is going to make any difference. The papers are marked in such a way as to be accurate, with double scanning and human checks. If there are any elements/answers that the machine finds ambiguous, it is double-checked by a human. If an answer were to be unclear and the markers could not determine what it was, they couldn't award a mark on the basis of benefit-of-doubt. Otherwise marking multiple possible answers on any question you were unsure of would become a viable tactic.

I understand your need to eliminate all the possibilities, but I don't think it's going to yield the change in result you want.