Twins CAF and appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ricky74

Twins CAF and appeal

Post by Ricky74 »

Hi
I have read the appeals Q&A but have a complex CAF enquiry.

I have twin boys. For Bishop Vesey Bham DT1 scored 201 and DT2 scored 210. The qualifying score is 204. Lowest cut off last yr 217 I believe.

For the Walsall test DS1 scored 313 and DS2 350. The qualifying score is 300 and last year's cut off 318.

Went to see head after parents eve. Genuinely shocked by scores as boys top of school. Happy to support us in any appeal as this is not their normal performance.

Both boys really wanted Vesey as we are 1mile away. DS2 will have secured a place at Queen Marys but DS2 very borderline/appeal.

My question is - can we appeal Vesey for both
And QM for DS2? Bear in mind DS1 did not meet 204 qualifier?

If so, do we put Vesey 1st on our CAF (knowing it will be rejected) and QM second (knowing DS2 will be allocated this) or do I risk DS2 losing place at QM with this method?

Thanks
Ricky74

Re: Twins CAF and appeal

Post by Ricky74 »

Ricky74 wrote:Hi

I have twin boys. For Bishop Vesey Bham DT1 scored 201 and DT2 scored 210. The qualifying score is 204. Lowest cut off last yr 217 I believe.

For the Walsall test DS1 scored 313 and DS2 350. The qualifying score is 300 and last year's cut off 318.

Went to see head after parents eve. Genuinely shocked by scores as boys top of school. Happy to support us in any appeal as this is not their normal performance.

Both boys really wanted Vesey as we are 1mile away. DS2 will have secured a place at Queen Marys but DS2 very borderline/appeal.

If so, do we put Vesey 1st on our CAF (knowing it will be rejected) and QM second (knowing DS2 will be allocated this) or do I risk DS2 losing place at QM with this method?

Thanks
Correction - meant can we appeal Vesey for DS1 who did not meet qualifying score (DS2 did qualify)
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Ricky74 wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:Hi

Thanks
Correction - meant can we appeal Vesey for DS1 who did not meet qualifying score (DS2 did qualify)
If we put QM first and BV second DS2 will be offered tQM nd therefore not rejected by BV, which means we can't appeal. Is that right?
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I'm sure people will be along soon who can give yiu specific advice (maybe move your post to appeals) but you should always put schools in the order you genuinely want them.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Ricky -
I have twin boys. For Bishop Vesey Bham DS1 scored 201 and DS2 scored 210. The qualifying score is 204. Lowest cut off last yr 217 I believe.

This is quite tricky to juggle:

Couple of points first - 1) Appeals are extremely hard to win for these schools and 2) there is no guarantee that the boys can go to the same place (unless you opt for non selective schools) .

If you put BV first and QM second then DS2 will probably be rejected from BV but this will not lose him a place at QM.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Thanks for the replies. I know the success rate in Bham but have to try.
My main concern was losing a guaranteed place at QM by putting BV first but assuming admissions will look at BV and say no then see he meets criteria for QM.

Another question - can you ever approach individual schools now to discuss the issues. Appeal to their better nature? Realise admissions make the decision but has anybody ever done this? Called up the schools and tried to book a meeting?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Schools have to adhere to their admissions policies. Going in to "appeal to their better nature" is therefore pointless. They have to stick to their own rules.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Thanks - makes sense! Sighs....