wraysburymum Slough appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wraysburymum

SLOUGH GRAMMAR APPEAL

Post by wraysburymum »

Has anyone had any feedback from Slough about a possible appeal? I haven't been able to get any figures (passing numbers or possible take-ups) and as this is their first year running on their own I'm in the dark.
My daughter also got 110 but the grades children got for Slough compared to the consortium seem to have been lower. Does this mean Slough had fewer "passing" unlike the consortium who have lots passing but few able to get the places. Help???
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry wraysburymum....The slough appeals whether for the consortium or slough grammar are clouded in a very thick fog.
110 is an excellent score...Now that Slough Grammar is not in the consortium I would have thought they would be more flexible (not bound by so many rules) but this is only my personal view.
If you can show excellent KS2 predictions and possibly get a letter from your daughters head/class teacher to say she is academically very able then you will definately have a chance at appeal.
It is also good to take along your childs school books if there are any 'level' grades indicated or they have excellent comments.
The appeals I have known that have been accepted have both been at 110.
If you say that the marks achieved for SG were less (on the whole) than the consortium then it also bodes well for an appeal as some may take up an offer from the consortium rather than wait for SG.
wraysburymum

Slough Appeal

Post by wraysburymum »

Thanks Chad, much appreciated. I wasn't sure whether Slough were offering a similar appeal process as Bucks. My daughter got 120 for Bucks (one off again!) and so far Bucks have been very organised with the appeal process. We were supplied up-front with appeal forms etc and have an appeal date already. Slough have been less forth-coming. I wondered whether anyone had received any feedback from Slough as to if or when appeals would be happening? I sent a nice letter requesting an appeal but have not had a response. I am fortunate to have full school backing and year 5 level 5 SATs and predicted high 5's at year 6. Just a bundle of nerves and overwhelming desire to please mum/teachers etc on the day putting us in the appeal position! So, Burnham looking like best shot, but a saving of 15 miles a day in the car for a trip to Slough would be jackpot!!
wraysburymum

Slough v Consortium

Post by wraysburymum »

Sorry, me again. With my limited access (about 12 children) who sat Bucks + Slough + Consortium, the results were interesting.
The initial response from children was that the consortium test was considerably harder than Slough, most not finishing the maths, struggling with NVR and believing they had failed. And yet the results for Bucks and Consortium were at least 5-10 points higher (120+) than for Slough! Most children are now in line for a place at Herschel and Langley and won't be taking Slough or Bucks places.
So it seems that if any of the children sat only one 11+ test, they could have passed/failed at different scores ie. 115 fails Bucks, 115 fails to place Langley but gets you into Slough OR... in our case- 120 fails Bucks, 110 fails Slough but there is a God and we still get a place???
chad

Post by chad »

You can't really equate Bucks and Berks as Bucks standardise to 110 while Berks standardise to 100. therefore giving a variation on pass mark 121 to 111.
It was interesting to hear that there was a difference between the consortium and Slough grammar with the candidates in your sample scoring higher on the Consortium test.
I wonder if this is a difference in the exam or whether the 'pass mark' is set say at 30%, so 30% of candidates would be at 111 or above. The children concerned would be in the 30% for the consortium but not for SG. :roll: Oh well ... unless the schools deign to tell us we will be none the wiser.
Good luck on your appeal. With those Sats results in Year 5 and only 1 mark off your daughter must have an excellent chance at appeal.
Catherine

Re: Slough v Consortium

Post by Catherine »

wraysburymum wrote:Sorry, me again. With my limited access (about 12 children) who sat Bucks + Slough + Consortium, the results were interesting.
The initial response from children was that the consortium test was considerably harder than Slough, most not finishing the maths, struggling with NVR and believing they had failed. And yet the results for Bucks and Consortium were at least 5-10 points higher (120+) than for Slough! Most children are now in line for a place at Herschel and Langley and won't be taking Slough or Bucks places.
So it seems that if any of the children sat only one 11+ test, they could have passed/failed at different scores ie. 115 fails Bucks, 115 fails to place Langley but gets you into Slough OR... in our case- 120 fails Bucks, 110 fails Slough but there is a God and we still get a place???
This is effectively interesting.
The standardised scores are not directly linked to the raw scores but more to ranking of the raw scores so they will depend on the percentage of the children that is supposed to pass. The schools need to get it right..
If I find any information I'll post it - my son goes to SG - but I guess that the school themselves are not completely sure yet because it is the first year.
They are also probably not fully organised with dealing with a high number of appeal requests yet and that would explain why you haven't received an acknowledgement for yours. I guess that it will arrive soon.

Please let us know how you get on. 120 and 110 plus the school backing are encouraging so ..fingers cross..
wraysburymum

Slough Appeal

Post by wraysburymum »

Hi Catherine/Chad
Thanks for your comments. I have read back through 2006/7 links and found that previous Berks appeals were not usually heard until April time. Is this going to be the same 2008 do you think? So we could be in for a long wait to find a school place! Why on earth don't they sit the exams.... get the results.... offer the places... it would be much simpler! I spoke to a nice lady from RBWM and she said the system was in place to make people chose schools before selective results gave other children extra options. In effect, trying to get your child into a grammar school then limits your chances of getting them into a reasonable secondary school (if you even come into the catchment area of one... which we don't!)
I won't know whether to pursue the same options with my Year 4 daughter for some time, fingers crossed and I could be here again in a couple of years.
chad

Post by chad »

Yes...historically berks was different from Bucks. Bucks holds appeals then lumps all in the same pot for allocation. In Berks you are looking at an appeal for qualification and place at the same time..... I would have thought that all Slough grammars will keep to the same appeal timetable.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Wraysburymum, I agree with Chad and I would also be surprised if the dates changed this year because it would mean that the appeals for qualification [for pupils with a 11+ score below 111] and appeals for allocation would be held separately.. and it would be a rather radical change :roll:
There are rumours that the 11+ test dates could be moved forward next year in accordance to the government guidelines stating that the results should be known before the deadline to return the common application form. In this case, may be the schools would change their appeal arrangements as well, who knows... but this just speculation...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now